♔ 𝐱𝐥𝐢.

" But I know better
Than to drive you home
'Cause you'd invite me in
And I'd be yours again"

_____

𝚡𝚕𝚒

Me and Johnny walked slowly behind Pony, finally spotting a farmer down the road.

Pony waved at him.

"Can you tell me where Jay Mountain is?" He asked.

"What?"

"I need to get to Jay Mountain!" Pony said a little louder.

The farmer pointed down the road. "Follow this road to that big hill over there. That's it. Taking a walk?" He asked.

Pony gave a sheepish look, biting onto the wheat plant. "Yessir. We're playing army and i'm supposed to report to headquarters."

The farmer glanced at Johnny and i, then back at Pony

The farmer glanced at Johnny and i, then back at Pony. "Boys will be boys." He grinned.

Wait, did he just call me a boy?

_______

"So?" I asked Pony as he walked towards us.

He directed us to where the church was. It was a tough climb, the road just kept getting steeper and steeper.

It took us at least 40 minutes to an hour to get there, and that was with us rushing to get there. But Johnny could hardly stand being awake a second longer, much less walking up a road. But i think all of us were beyond exhausted.

As soon as we walked in, we all got scared from the spiderwebs and super creepy feeling we got from the church. But, we didn't entirely care either. We all just wanted to pass out, even if it meant we had to sleep on the cold, dirty, hard ground.

I was too worried to sleep.. but Johnny had instantly fallen asleep, so did Ponyboy. I kinda forgot what Johnny looked like when he wasn't terrified of getting jumped by Soc's or worrying about having to run away from a murder. But now, he looked calm and his facial features were relaxed.

I grabbed my jacket off of my waist, using it as a pillow to sleep on.

And soon everything started fading away. All the thoughts that scattered around in my head slowly drifting away.. my eyes becoming heavier, my breathing more steady. Before i knew it, i felt like i was awake before i even shut down.

"Hey Charity, wake up." I heard a soft voice, followed by my shoulder being gently shaken.

"Johnny? What are you doing up?" I sat up, curious if anything happened.

"Well, Dally told us to get supplies before sunrise, as soon as we think its safe.. i figured now was as good as a time than any other. Wanna come with?" Johnny said.

I looked over at Pony who was sleeping soundly, curled up in a ball inside the huge jacket Dally gave him.

"What about him? You sure we should just leave him?" I asked Johnny.

He then picked up a small pencil-sized stick, and began writing over the dirt and dust on the floor.

"Went to get supplies. Be back soon. C.C/J.C"

I sighed at his plan, but knew it would be a rough trip for him all alone.

"Let's go, i guess." I stood up, patting the dirt off my legs and waist.

It was still dark outside, with a very dim lighting from the sun, which would arrive in less than at least half an hour, maybe less.

At least it wasn't cold though.

______

Thank you for reading
𝓼𝓽𝓪𝔂  𝓰𝓸𝓵𝓭

• Song lyrics above: Billie Eilish - My future •

Word count: 569