Episode 1.3

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE
❛ CATHOLICS? ATHLETES. ATHLETES?CATHOLICS. ❜

daddy lessons                  //             beyoncekiss with a fist // florence + the machine━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

daddy lessons                //           beyonce
kiss with a fist // florence + the machine
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

HIGH TOPS WERE NOT THE RIGHT SHOES to wear while going hiking, was an important lesson Cecilia learned as she climbed up the uneven path in her waterproof pants and 'friends across the barricades' shirt with sore feet as the little stones that decorated the path sent a piercing pain through her sole.

The uncomfortable silence between herself and William as they walked side by side didn't help very much either.

"You okay there, Clare?" Cecilia asked her friend once they had all stopped climbing and had gathered around father Peter who stood on a rock. Clare nodded hastily but before Cecilia could even think about delving deeper into the topic father Peter started speaking in a way that demanded their attention.

"I think we can all agree that for generations there's been a deep lack of trust between your communities and that's where abseiling comes in." Peter said with his hands on his hips.
"Abseiling is a great trust-building exercise because what you're doing is, you're saying to your buddy, 'lean on me, I'm here for you.'"

Cecilia raised her hand once she was sure the priest was done talking. "How is exactly is throwing a person off a cliff supposed to build trust?"

"Now, you won't be throwing your buddy off the cliff, you will be gently lowering them down to the ground." Peter clarified.

"Same thing." Cecilia said a little too loudly and the rest of the crowd broke into murmurs.

"Alright, let's see who's first," Peter said as he pulled out his clipboard from underneath his arm. "Ah, Clare. Clare Devlin. There you are." The blonde girl looked up at Peter in shock.

"I- I'm not sure about this." Clare stuttered out.

"You'll be grand." Michelle pushed the girl ahead so that her own turn could come sooner. Cecilia clapped enthusiastically for her friend as Clare stood beside father Peter, very, very nervous.

"No, listen, you don't understand." Clare quivered.

"Now, where's your buddy?" Peter asked and Clare's buddy, whose name Cecilia never learned, raised his arm with a tired expression on his face.

"Good man, yourself." Father Peter said. "Come on up."

Clare's buddy trudged over to the girl before the two of the were guided up to the hill by the man in the red waterproof jacket who previously stood beside Peter and the teens.

"Now, Philip will control Clare's descent by feeding her rope through what's known as a belay device." Father Peter explained as. "So he'll be the one actually dictating the speed of her drop."