Episode 3.3

CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN
❛ FORGETTING JAMES MAGUIRE ❜

everything changes // take thatyour song         //         elton john━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

your song         //         elton john
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

ADA BYRNE WAS ABSOLUTELY KNACKERED from attending to her bakery's customers and forcing smile on her face every time one of them entered the bakery. Unfortunately her husband was upstairs giving Timothy McKenna piano lessons and Cecilia was over at the Quinn's grieving the loss of her opportunity finally attend the Take Them concert so she had no other choice but to man the counter.

"Did you hear about the polar bear in Belfast." Ellis Duffy, a woman she knew from church asked as Ada placed two cream puffs into a box for her.

"Yeah, poor Cecilia had to miss that Take Them concert because of it." She said, placing the tongs down before sliding the glass door that kept hands away from her baked goods. "Why?"

"Apparently, the beast is on it's way to Derry." Ellis said in a hushed tone that would have made anyone think she was spreading gossip.

"Is that so?" Ada asked as she taped the box shut. "I best be getting Cecilia home before it gets here, then."

"Aye, me too." Ellis handed the red haired woman the money for the cream puffs, insisting that Ada keep the change before smiling at her and walking out so that she could rush home before the polar bear got here.

After a few minutes of standing in silence, little Timothy stomped down the stairs and bid her goodbye before running out of the bakery too quick for Ada could get the chance to warn to warn the boy about the polar bear on the lose who was slowly approaching them in Derry.

Immediately after Ada locked the register and ran up the stairs to her flat where Aaron played a melody over their piano with his hand covering one of his ears.

"What do you think you're doing covering your good ear?" She folded her arms as she continued to walk towards her husband.

"Just trying to see-"

"If your hearing came back?" She sighed, shaking her head slightly. Aaron had been trying this every day since he returned from his military service and even though he would get the same result every time that wouldn't stop him from trying again the next day. "I really wish you wouldn't."

"No harm in trying, love." He said before continued playing the tune. "Do you remember this one?"

"Am I supposed to?"

"Your father had it played for our first dance." Aaron reminded her. "Apparently your mammy chose it when you were a wain."

"I didn't know that." Tiffany said softly and Aaron hummed in response. She clapped enthusiastically for him once he was done.