thirty-seven

Their worries had come true only days later, when they had been recording in the studio and a woman from their management had showed up. She usually only showed up when they were in trouble, so guessing why she was there hadn't been necessary.

Long story short, she had informed them about a meeting they would have and until then, Luke and Ashton shouldn't show themselves in public, especially alone. Obviously all of them had been mad about that, but none of them could really change that and so they went with it.

Another few weeks passed and their album was starting to form. With five songs done and seven songs written and halfway recorded, they were relatively calm about the release.
Late for their single release due to Luke's absence, they had released their single's 'Teeth' and 'Easier' in December with two weeks inbetween. Additional music videos had followed days after, leaving them the weeks before busy and stressed with recording, filming and photoshoots.

Since christmas was now over and the year was coming to an end, the band had gathered at Ashton's house on the 31st December, celebrating New Year together. Crystal and Aarany had spend the night with them and at 11:55pm, they had gone outside into Ashton's garden, spending the last minutes of 2019 together.

'Ash?', Luke asked, looking up to Ashton who stood next to him, his left arm around Luke's waist as he looked at the still clear night sky.

'Yes?', Ashton replied, glancing at Luke.

'What's your new year's resolution?'

'Hm, that's an easy one', Ashton started, now turning his full attention to Luke, 'I want to tell the world about my wonderful boyfriend.' Luke giggled at that and poked Ashton's side.
In the background, the other's started counting down the last seconds and Ashton turned to Luke, his hand over his side to prevent them from being poked again.

'On the other hand, maybe I'll rather keep you all to myself and lock you up', he said and Luke rolled his eyes playfully, wrapping his arms around Ashton's neck.

'You're a dork', Luke mumbled and Ashton grinned at the blonde.

'Your dork though.'
The drummer wrapped his arms around Luke's waist and lifted the boy up.

'Happy New Year', he said and once Luke said it back, Ashton spun around and whirled Luke around with him, pressing their lips together.
And that's how they welcomed the new year, kissing and fireworks lighting up the night sky, letting the darkness disappear for a while.

**
It wasn't long until their next single was released and it felt as if the months flew by.
Luke and Ashton had ended up with a signed contract that forced them to stay silent about their relationship until the end of the contract in April.
Despite the contract, the boys enjoyed their time until their album would be released and the tour would start and so they went on little dates.

Obviously the dates were risky and they had to be careful, but they didn't see a reason for them to stay home and hide, so, they didn't.

After their single 'No Shame' came out on the 5th February and the music video followed only two days later, Ashton surprised Luke with a day at an amusement park. Michael, Crystal, Calum and Aarany were tagging along aswell and so they arrived at the park on a sunny afternoon.

The day was spend laughing until their with sugar filled bellies hurt and even though Ashton couldn't hold Luke like he wanted to, he hadn't been this happy since what felt like years. For the first time since Luke had come home, Ashton hadn't worried about Luke relapsing and seeing the blonde laugh, joke and have fun with the others, Ashton was sure Luke was carefree that day aswell.

Right now, Luke, Michael, Calum and Aarany were in an amusement ride, while Ashton and Crystal preferred to stay outside watching and waiting for them.

'Things are going well, huh?', Crystal suddenly spoke up, her eyes still focused on the seats that their friends should be in.

'What do you mean?', Ashton questioned, looking at Crystal.

'I mean Luke and you. You two seem happy', she explained and Ashton looked down with a smile, biting his lip, before he nodded.

'Yeah', he said and Crystal stepped closer, making it easier for them to talk over the loud music and screams of the amusement park.

'You two are a lovely couple Ashton.'

'You think so?', Ashton asked, his eyes now focused on Luke and the others leaving the ride.

'Yes and I'm not alone with that', Crystal said and winked, then they walked towards the others, ready to welcome them back to the ground.

'Oh sweet ground beneath my feet', Luke croaked and stumbled out of the ride and right off the platform. Ashton being the gentleman he was caught his boyfriend and made sure he stood safely on the ground, before letting him go again. Luke on the other hand giggled and mumbled a 'thank you', then leaned close to Ashton and kissed the boy's cheek.

'I love you', he whispered and brought some distance between them again.
Ashton immediately turned around, checking the crowds around them for paparazzi or fans who could've possibly captured the moment. Despite not seeing anyone, he spend the rest of the day with an uneasy feeling.