thirty-eight

Ashton's uneasy feeling soon became a justified worry and they were called into the office of their management the next day. There, they were confronted with pictures and articles about their day at the amusement park.
They had indeed been seen and photographed in the park and now had to deal with the aftermath.

'This has serious consequences and could ruin the image of you and the whole band', the had said and Luke had looked down the whole time, tears in his eyes and the guilt eating him up alive.

'You have broken the contract', the had said and as much as the couple hated it, she was right. They had broken the contract and Luke was aware that this was his fault. The contract specifically said that affectionate behaviour of any kind was forbidden in public and that included a kiss on the cheek in an amusement park.

'We have to keep the damage as small as possible.' They had been aware that damage control would be the consequence of their slip-up and so they had prepared themselves for a few optional scenarios.

'We thought about an outing of one of you. We'll give you a beard and in the next interview, we will make sure that you'll be asked about relationships and then we'll reveal the news', she had said and the woman had looked incredible proud and satisfied with the idea, unlike Luke and Ashton.

'I'll do it', Ashton had said immediately, wanting to protect Luke from the stress of having a fake boyfriend. He shouldn't have so much responsibility sitting on his shoulders.

'But Ash-', Luke had tried to protest, but with a stern look from Ashton, he had stopped mid-sentence. It broke their hearts, but they knew that they had to do this now for the sake of the band.
So they walked out of the building that day with sad looks on their faces and three feet between them.

**
It wasn't a week later, that Ashton was called back into the office and introduced to a young man with brown hair and green eyes.

'Ashton, this is Elliot', the woman said and Ashton shook the boy's hand, giving him a half-hearted smile.

'He is part of our damage control and will function as your boyfriend in public', she explained further, motioning for the both of them to sit down, before she continued talking, 'The band will have an interview tonight and there you'll be asked about relationships. Since Calum wanted to confirm the rumours about him and his girlfriend, we'll jump on that train and introduce Elliot to the world.'
Ashton only nodded, his mind with his favourite blonde boy that sat at home, waiting for him to return.

'Questions about your sexuality will be asked. You can either say that you don't want to put labels on anything or that you are bisexual. We can't break the hearts of all those female fans, hoping that one of you will fall in love with them.'

'I'd prefer no labels then', Ashton mumbled and the woman nodded, writing something down.

'Alright, then all you need to know is that you obviously have to sound believable. That means that things like your face can decide on whether people believe you or not. Tell the interviewer about Elliot as if it was Luke, even if they don't necessarily ask for it. Sell it to them as if he's the love of your life, make us believe it and we're safe.'
The whole time that the woman had talked, Ashton hadn't once looked at her. He had just nodded, accepting his fate and hoping that this meeting would be over quick.

'If you understood all of this, you have to sign this contract. This obliges you to stay silent about what is said here and also obliges you to show you with him in public whenever we wish and think it's necessary.'
Again, Ashton nodded and finally looked up, taking a pen from the woman and signing the contract without reading it. Elliot had already signed it and when Ashton leaned back into his seat, he read the last few lines.

'The contract only goes until the beginning of the tour?', Ashton questioned, raising an eyebrow as he watched the woman take the contract and putting it into a thick folder.

'It's a temporary contract and will be extended if necessary', she explained and Ashton nodded, a flicker of hope lighting up his heart.

The flicker of hope lasted his whole way home and until Luke greeted him there, kissing the drummer softly.

'It's a temporary contract', Ashton mumbled and Luke looked at him with a frown.

'Obviously.. They can't make you date him forever', Luke pointed out, confused as to why Ashton had felt the need to inform him about the fact.

'Yeah, yeah no, that's not what I'm talking about', Ashton tried again, lifting Luke up and causing the blonde boy to wrap his legs around his waist.

'And what are you talking about then?', Luke asked and allowed Ashton to carry him around the house and into the kitchen. There, Ashton put Luke down and hopped onto the counter, pulling Luke inbetween his legs.

'You're still taller than me. I don't like that', Ashton explained with a pout when Luke looked at him confused. The confused look soon turned into a grin and Luke kissed Ashton's pouting lips.

'Now that you're almost on eye-height with me, would you mind telling me why you were so excited?'
Ashton huffed and pouted again, before he finally gave in and decided to explain Luke the reason for his excitement.

'Well, the contract is temporary, obviously and ends the week we go on tour.'

'So.. that means..?'

'The contract is only vaild for three months.'