26

MAHIR

I picked up Bela and Mahira and came back to our home.

"Dadda",Mahira was not leaving me.

"I'm here baby, I'm here",I cooed her when she was sobbing.

"I'm sorry Mahir, she was crying so badly today. I couldn't see her like this so I called you",Bela said feeling guilty.

"No no Bela,it's fine. She is my daughter, she needs me",I said kissing Mahira.

"Are you fine Mahir"?Bela asked looking worried.

"I'm... I'm fine Bela.. just the work pressure",I lied.

"Dad is back from NY,he called me", she said.

"Oh ya that's cool. But I still have to do some work. You and Mahira take rest. I will order dinner",I said.

"We already had dinner Mahir,I will make something for you", she said going towards kitchen.

"No Bela,I also ate. Mahira also slept crying. Both of you take rest. I will come after sometime",I said.

"Hmm OK. Mahir I need to tell you something", she said.

"Ya what is it"?I asked.

"As now Mahira turned one,dad wanted to buy earrings for her", she said.

"What? Earrings for such a small girl? She is not even pierced",I said with confusion.

"Yes Mahir,we need to do piercing for her ears for that. It's a tradition that her mother's dad should offer her first earrings", she said.

"But Bela it will pain. She is so small to bear that pain",I said worrying.

"It won't pain Mahir,it will just take a second. And don't worry, she will be in your arms when they pierce her ears", she said.

"OK... so when are we going to do this"?I asked.

"Umm..after three days", she said looking down.

"Ohh so on our marriage day"?I asked.

"Yeah.. dad told that that day is auspicious for it", she said.

"OK. I'm OK with it. Did he inform dad"?I asked.

"Yes he informed. They will come on that day", she said.

"Oh OK. Go to sleep Bela,I will come soon",I said.

"Ya fine. Good night Mahir", she said taking Mahira from me.

I came back to my room to complete the journal.

Piercing?

My baby is so small for that, why all these traditions are for girls?

"Our baby is going to be pierced Bani. She is becoming big",I said caressing the journal.

And we have to do that on mine and Bela's first anniversary.

Just after the day of Bani's death. I don't have energy to bear all this pain at once.

I sighed and opened the journal to continue.

"Bani, why are you spoiling your happy married life with Mahir because of Bela. She is gone. It's her decision,we have to respect that. She will come back if she want to", my dad said.

I dint expect these words from him.

"Even you are talking like Mahir dad! She is your daughter, how can you let her go"?I sobbed.

"Bani.....she had a reason to go, she left.Think that she left for your happiness, don't spoil that happiness my child", he said.

"Tell me where is she dad"?I asked.