𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 38

𝐾𝑒𝑙𝑣𝑖𝑛
___________________________

I woke up to the buzzing of my phone, it was 3:00 o'clock in the morning. I ignored the call because the number was unknown, I rubbed my eyes and turned on the tv. The news flashed across the screen reading about a car accident that happened 5 hours ago, I rolled over ignoring all of it until I heard a familiar name.
"Max Williams's was imminently rushed to the hospital after a car accident off the 23rd just south of the Brooklyn bridge. A truck ran into her flipping the car almost 4 times, as you can see in the surveillance video. She rolled into the hospital with a few scratches and a broken rib, ladies and gentlemen for my believers out there some might say this was a miracle..."

So she didn't ignore my text on purpose.
I turned the tv off and rushed to the shower, I got dressed and ran downstairs. I rushed to my car and went to the gas station, I filled her up and was gone, I ain't stop for nobody.
I had to make sure my baby was okay.

||

The good thing about sports cars, they gone get you to where you gotta go. The drive was only three hours but the drive to the hospital was long, I rushed in and ran to the front desk.

Tears ran down my eyes thinking the worse, I asked for her room number and ran to her room. I stared at her as she laid in her bed, she looked hurt. Not from the accident, she looked heart broken. I couldn't walk in there, not now...not just yet. She'll hate me, I'm not ready to face that.

"Kelvin?.." I turned and there was her aunt, she was carrying coffee.

"Hey.."

"It's good to see you." She said as she gave me a hug.

"How is she?"

"She's seen better days, Max has lost more peoples then all of us. She can't take all the pain, she needs you Kelvin..."

I shook my head "I'm the last person she wants to see.."

"Your wrong, she loves you boy. She loves you so much that it hurts her, and it's hurting you to pretend like you don't care...she could of lost her life. But God had other plans, it's time for her blessing to come and with or without you...she will be okay. But you have to choose which one you would rather be the man okay with loosing her? Or being the man she needs the most right now..."

"I put her through the worse, I broken her after promising to keep her together..."

"You can't break a spirit like hers, you might bend it. But she will always come back, stronger than the last time."

"I understand that, But please I beg you. When she wakes up don't tell her I was here...I want to save her the heart ache, she deserves better...and I can't give her what she deserves."

"Kelvin...."

"Please Auntie....just please do this one thing for me. Tell her I wasn't here, make her move on." A tear fell from my eye and she nodded her head.

I whipped my eyes and walked away, this is for the better...so they say...

||

𝑀𝑎𝑥
______________

I woke up slowly, pain hitting me hard. I couldn't move, the thoughts of last night came rushing back. The person changing my IV was the same lady that was here last time.
         "You must like it here." She laughed, I couldn't speak my throat was so dry. "You are a very lucky girl..." she said. "You left with a couple scratches and only one broken rib..."

          My aunt walked in and she smiled at me, she lifted my head and gave me some warm tea. I swallowed and began to talk.
         "Where are my kids?"

"There safe..."

                  "Where?"

"Honey don't worry, you need to rest. People came and dropped off flowers and gifts, and bears." She giggled.

                   "And Kelvin...?"

"He...he couldn't make it."

           Wow. Not even almost dying made him want to come see me, it's okay I'll get over it.  My aunt whipped my tears and I asked her to give me a minute alone, she left and I started to ball. A hand slowly rubbed over my hair, and there was Anthony again, and standing next to him was Jacobe.
        "I can't do this anymore..." I cried, I'm ready to go. Take me with you guys..."

"You have a life to live mommy, it's just beginning..." he smiled.

          "I have no life without you guys.." I said rubbing down his face.

"You do, you have two beautiful baby girls to raise. They need you, don't give up yet Max." Said Anthony.

        He kissed my head and Jacobe did as well.

"Live your life Max, it's time to let go..." said Anthony and he grabbed Jacobe's hand and walked away. "No..no don't leave me again. Please.." I cried.

"Let go...and live Max." He said.
"See you later mommy, we love you..." he smiled as they walked away into a white light.

        When they left I didn't have anymore tears to cry. I wanted to but I just could cry...they wouldn't let me, I thought back to my baby girls.

And that's when I realized, I have to live. If not for them, then for me...