hoseok - request

LIGHTS DOWN LOW

- in which a particular song reminds you of a time where you were in a rough patch but hoseok tries to change your memory of the song to one that's filled with happiness and love; requested by @howtobts101 and the song for this imagine is 'turn the lights down low' by MAX ft Gnash

The pad of your fingertip, numb much like the rest of you, glides across the frosty glass of the window, leaving behind a clear trail in its wake. You eye the movement in dull fascination, finger habitually beginning to match the melodic tune of the song filling in the thick silence with lyrics that burn through your skin, reminding you of a time you've tried so hard to forget.

A single tear falls from your lash, landing onto the cold skin of your hand, jolting you back to reality; a place safer than the obsidian your mind locks you in from time to time.

Flustered by the sudden show of emotion, you clear your throat, pulling yourself away from the window as your fingers tremble as they brush the tears off your cheeks, ears perking at the sound of the front door clicking open.

Despite your somber mood, a smile breaks onto your face at the sound of surprise Hoseok makes in the doorway as he recognises the song playing, your movements becoming slightly frantic as your swipe angrily at the apples of your cheeks.

You hear him giggle from behind you, the sound more a reminder of joy than anything else, and turn to meet him with a hopefully convincing grin, watching in faint amusement as he hums to the music with his eyes closed, inching closer towards you with every wiggle filled step he takes.

"It's like the radio knew I was coming home," he sighs dramatically, dropping his duffle bag onto the floor by your feet, stretching his arms over his head with a groan. "They knew to play my favourite song."

You offer him a small hum of recognition and hesitantly prop your arm over your face but Hoseok catches onto the shame filled gesture when his crescent shaped eyes, courtesy of the blooming smile he wears like an angel wears her halo, flick over to you, his energy quickly dimming at the sight of your bloodshot eyes and flushed pink cheeks.

He is quick to dawn a look of apologetic horror as he crouches down in front of you, your whines barely audible as you try to avoid his questions, feeling as if his worry for you will do nothing but make the guilt bubbling within your stomach overflow.

"Sunshine," he coos, tenderly cupping your soft cheeks with his hands to guide your face towards his, like he's done many times before when he comes home to find you quietly sobbing by the window. You find yourself feeling like a burden on him when you realise just how many times the two of you have been in this exact same situation. "What's wrong?"

Your lips, however, betray you as they quirk up into a soft smile, your eyes fluttering shut as he leans forward to press a satisfied kiss to your lips, grunting as he shifts around so that he's seated cross-legged in front of you, like a child sits before their mother.

"Tell me what's up," he chirps, watching in amusement as you sigh in embarrassment, flapping your hands around as you struggle to find the words to say. He tilts his head to the side, catching your eye as your heart falters in your chest at the look of affection and worry painted onto his face with the steady beat of the song as it comes to an end registering in your mind.

This time you can't help the tears as they run down your cheeks in waterfalls.

Alarmed, Hoseok returns to sitting on his knees, stretching his arms up to pull your head into his chest, kissing the side of your forehead as you sob into his shirt, trying your hardest to focus on the sweet nothings that fall from his lips in a lulling rhythm.

"It's J-Jae Sook," you stutter, eyes wide as your hands clench around the material of Hoseok's loose shirt, his hold on you tightening as he gradually pulls you closer to the edge of your seat, rocking the both of your bodies slowly in hopes of it calming you down. You notice the way his back stiffens at the mention of your ex, your guilt only doubling as you bury your face into his neck, closing your eyes as the milky scent of his shampoo keeps you grounded.

"This was the song," you mumble as you find yourself back in the obsidian of your thoughts. "This was playing when he left me at the altar with the revelation that he didn't love me anymore."

You remember clearly the way you felt as you watched him walk out of the hall in a hurry with your heart in his hands, your body numb and cold even when all you received were hugs of warmth and sympathy.

You didn't want their pity, you wanted him but he was gone and he left you with nothing except lingering memories and a reluctance towards trust.

Hoseok runs his fingers over the curves of your back, tracing every dip and muscle. "I know it hurts, buttercup, and I'm so sorry that it happened to you but you have me now and I'm not going anywhere."

You let his words sink in and smile against his shoulder, kissing the soft skin apologetically. "I'm so sorry, you must feel so bad. I really didn't mean—"

"No," he interrupts, pulling away to flash you one of his signature grins, "I know it hurt you and I want you to talk about it." You shy away as he wraps a strand of your hair around his fingers, tucking it behind your ear.

Then he perks up, his eyes glossing over with something almost unrecognisable to you as he stands with a triumphant grin.

"Get up," he urges boyishly, bouncing on the balls of his feet, "we're going to do something fun."

Curious, you stand with a quiet sniffle, pulling the sleeves of your sweater over your shivering hands as he brushes past you to swipe your phone up from the coffee table, his lips pushed out into a pout as he fiddles with it for a few seconds before returning to your side to curl his fingers around your wrist.

A beautiful guitar melody fills the air and has you halting in your movements.

He tugs at your wrist but you defiantly shake your head, whining as you try to pull your arm back into your chest but he remains persistent, swinging your arm from side to side with a suggestive smile until, finally, you give in, allowing yourself to be pulled flush against his chest.

Chuckling, he guides your arms up over your head, ghosting fingertips over them as you sink them down to hook over his shoulders, meeting his mischievous gaze as he gently cups your waist with his hands, a smirk playing with his lips as his eyes begin to dance between your own upturned lips and your wild eyes.

Gradually, he begins to sway, rolling his body up against yours while huskily singing along, his kisses addictive as he traces them up your jaw.

He then pulls away to watch in wonder as you loosen up, your own eyes sparking in adoration as you study the way he looks underneath the soft glow of the lights, each warm bulb allowing its light to get caught in between the strands of his hair and call the velvety brown of his eyes home, but what really gives you the feeling of contentment is the way he looks at you as if you are the only thing that matters in his world.

Your heart falters in your chest as you realise that this is it; this is the man you've fallen in love with, the one who will always be by your side for the rest of your life.

You rest your head on his chest, wearing a big grin instead of the tears, matching your voice with Hoseok's to sing along.

Feeling immensely proud of both himself for changing your mood and you for trusting him, he spins you around in his embrace, heart swelling at the sound of your giggles and flicks your chin up when you stop in his arms, lovingly peppering the corner of your lips with butterfly kisses before embracing them with his own, kissing you deeply with the golden light cascading upon the two of you like a reassurance for a future of happiness