namjoon - request (pt 4)

WELCOME TO BANGTAN HIGH

welcome to bangtan high: a series in which you and your seven friends get into all sorts of trouble; requested by @army_pidge

STUPID; NAMJOON

The ground below is littered with shades of orange, red, yellow and brown while many more descend from the mass of branches above, creating a picture you wish to frame in your mind for as long as you're able to remember it.

The arrival of autumn really is something else.

You continue to stare out the window in fascination and awe, finding the ethereal beauty of the scenery outside to be much more interesting than the drab grey of the classroom you're stuck in.

A soft smile blooms on your face as the sudden thought of spending an afternoon with your friends at the park in this weather enters your mind. You're about to wonder whether or not they'd up for joining you in the park for some hotteok on the weekend when you're interrupted by the stern voice belonging to your history teacher as he stands at the front with his arms folded across his chest. "Miss Y/N, stand up."

You snap out of your thoughts sheepishly, doing as he asked quickly while becoming aware of all the heads turned towards you, especially Namjoon's. He looks up at you from the seat beside yours and nervously raps his fingers against the table.

"Care to tell the class what's so interesting outside?"

You shake your head firmly, bowing your head in apology. "Sorry, sir. It won't happen again."

Instead of accepting your apology and moving on, your teacher slams his hands onto his desk in frustration, your reaction automatically being to flinch in surprise and, dare you admit it, fear.

Namjoon, out of instinct, grabs onto your hand.

"That's just not good enough, Y/N," he bellows, making you flinch for a second time. "It seems like you're barely paying attention in all of my classes! That last test you did was disgraceful! Your score was lowest in the class."

Namjoon squeezes onto your hand.

"C'mon, Y/N," your teacher eventually sighs, "you can't be that stupid."

Fed up, you flick your gaze back up to meet your teacher's eye, revealing to everyone watching you with pity that your eyes had been welling up with tears of embarrassment the very second he started yelling at you.

"Excuse me," you bow, weaving your way through the desks before running out the classroom door, just making out the sound of a chair being scraped against the linoleum before you shake your head and sprint for the set of stairs that lead to the school roof.

*

Namjoon's hand clenches into a fist the very second your hand leaves his. He stays silent and still until he sees your figure make it out the classroom door, his anger reaching its peak as he pushes his chair back to stand, narrowing his eyes at the teacher as if to threaten him with the fury he's sure is darkening his orbs.

"And where do you think you're going, Mr Kim?"

With a deadpan expression that's cold enough to freeze the blood running in anyone's veins, Namjoon slides your books along with his into his arms before walking out calmly with his anger radiating off of him in slow yet dangerous waves.

He makes it to the base of the stairs before pulling his phone out to send a message to the boys for them to meet the both of you up on the roof. Sure, it's a wild guess on his part to assume that the roof is where you're hiding but, after many years of knowing you, he's realised that you like to calm yourself down anywhere you can feel the wind.

What better place to feel the wind than the roof?

Without wasting another second, he bounds up the stairs and nudges the door open with his shoulder, grunting as it finally gives in and swings open. He spots you sitting on the edge with your head in your hands and your shoulders trembling.

Fuck.

Disappointed in himself for being later than he usually is, he carefully stacks your belongings against the nearest wall with his and runs towards you with a coo, embracing you from behind with his cheek flat against your back so he can cradle you to his chest.

"Don't cry," he begs, a new piece of his heart shattering with every sob that wracks through your body. "It's okay."

"He d-didn't have to yell like that," you manage to choke out in between mouthfuls of air and pathetic sobs, allowing him to stand you up on the ledge, his arms still secured tightly around your waist as if you may fall if he lets you go. You whine and, carefully, turn yourself around so that you can hug him back, sobbing into his shoulder as he caresses your head fondly.

"I worked hard on that test and he l-lied about my result-ts in front of the whole c-class," you reveal, pushing yourself off of the ledge so that he can lower you back to the cement ground of the roof, tightening his hold on you so much that you're not sure if you can even breathe anymore but you don't care at this point.

"I know he did," he whispers.

Heartbeats pass as the two of you stay embraced in silence, his touch and warmth enough to calm you down so that all that's left of your crying is a few stray tears and slow sniffles.

"Please don't listen to him," Namjoon murmurs softly, keeping his voice low in order to keep the peaceful atmosphere surrounding the two of you alive. "You're not stupid at all and it was completely unprofessional of him to take his anger out on you. Don't worry about having to face him after this, I'll deal with it for you."

You nod into his shoulder as he presses a kiss to your head before continuing to sift his fingers through your hair; however, it's at this moment that the door to the roof busts open to reveal your six other friends, their faces red with rage as they march towards the two of you.

"Namjoon," Jin barks, "who the fuck made her cry?"

Yoongi emerges from behind the older with a frown carved into his face as he cracks his knuckles menacingly. "Yeah, who's the bastard we have to beat up?"

"History teacher," you mumble as Namjoon lets you go so that Hoseok can take his turn in hugging you, your body trembling against his.

"I don't care if it's a teacher," Taehyung scoffs, approaching you so that he can continue to pat your head like Namjoon was doing seconds before, "I'll whoop his ass."

"Stay here with her," Namjoon whispers to Jin, Jimin and Jungkook as they await their turns to comfort you, "I have a phone call to make."