taehyung - request

LITTLE NOTES

- in which a meeting in the library leaves taehyung incredibly fascinated by the pretty girl that lives in silence; requested by @TaesWolfie

The winter's air bites at Taehyung's full cheeks, leaving them a stinging red as he blows into his numb hands as if the minute warmth from his breath will bring them back to life; however, this tortuous journey will be worth it in a matter of minutes for he can just make out the outline of a building that he would consider his second home.

His shoes sink into the crunchy blanket of white that coats the small steps, his teeth digging into his chapped lips in excitement as he pushes open the heavy door with a laboured grunt, eyes widening as he reads the welcome sign that hangs from the ceiling.

Welcome to Seoul National Library

Taehyung had never been much of a reader until he met Namjoon. The older male's fondness of outlandish tales, ethereal poems and lighthearted novels rubbed off on the younger and, soon enough, Taehyung found himself accompanying Namjoon to libraries and bookstores in search of something to read.

Now, it's a habit he finds hard to stop.

Humming to himself, he plucks a random book off a nearby shelf, gently placing it onto his table by the window before shrugging his coat off with a sigh, finally relaxing into the cushioned chair with a smile of contentment stretching his lips out.

He thumbs through the book eagerly as the minutes pass by, delving deeper into the plot as it pushes him to the edge of his seat, his eyes wide as he can feel the book reaching its peak; however, a petite little finger taps his shoulder before he can flick to the next page.

Wearing a polite smile, he lowers his book and glances over his shoulder to see a girl his age standing behind him with a shy smile and a notebook extended out to him. Curious, he accepts it from her hand, looking down on a pastel pink page that's been scribbled on in the prettiest handwriting he's ever seen.

'Hi, sorry to be a bother,' it reads, 'but I was wondering if I could sit here with you?'

He can't help but chuckle at the thought put into the cute note, passing it back to her with a nod, watching as she sits down in relief, brushing the snow out of the soft locks of hair that cascade down her shoulders. "You don't have to be that quiet in here."

She looks up to meet his gaze, her gorgeously large eyes sparkling with something that he can't decipher, her rose petal coloured lips pursing together as she lunges for her notebook once again, the corners of his lips quirking up in amusement.

Eventually, the notebook is slid back in front of him with a new note printed onto a fresh page.

'Sorry for the hassle...again...but I can't hear you, I'm deaf,' it reads this time, Taehyung's mouth falling open ever so slightly as he re-reads it to make sure he's not making stuff up. His hand instinctively flutters up to elegantly cover his mouth as he reaches over to pluck the pen out of her grasp.

'No, I should be sorry! I had no idea. I'm Taehyung, by the way,' he scribbles down messily, grimacing at how jarring it looks beside her cursive letters as he slides it gently back towards her.

He swears that his heart stutters as the corners of her plump lips quirk up, her eyes brightening as she reads over his message.

In no time at all, the book is once again in front of him.

'I'm Y/N and please don't apologise :) also, I hope you don't mind my asking but what are you reading?'

He can't help but grin, finding it endearing that she tops her 'i's' with little love hearts and curls her 'y's' like they're ribbons.

'House of Leaves. It's a terrifying horror book that I just picked up. Maybe it's because the library makes it seem less scarier than it is. How about you? What are you reading?'

'Ah, it's called Eleanor & Park. It's rather sweet, I think you'd find it enjoyable.'

'Oh, I've read that one. It's a lovely read! Really, you'll fall in love with it.'

'I hope so, I've been planning to buy my own copy :)'

'You should let me know what you think when you finish it.'

'I will :)) You seem like you read a lot, would you have any recommendations?'

'Any Stephen King book would be great to read but I think something like The Princess Saves Herself in This One would be suited better to you. It's a pleasant little poetry book that will get you thinking.'

She nods as she reads through the poorly written titles, about to write something else down when Taehyung's phone vibrates against the table, it's noise shattering through the comfortable silence like a hammer would to a mirror.

'I'm so sorry, my roommate wants me back home now. I hope you make it back home safe and I hope that I see you around. :)'

He stands with a lightness in his demeanour, making him feel a lot less rigid than he did when he got there as he waves sweetly to her, skipping towards the exit with a giddy smile, only glancing back to stare at a book that sits on a shelf, his smile widening as he approaches it.

*

Weeks pass and Taehyung wonders if meeting her was a fleeting moment that he didn't grab onto when he had the chance. He didn't even give her his number, for God's sake.

He regrets this as he sits on the bench outside the library, letting the snow fall into his hair and tickle his flushed cheeks; however, fate seems to be on his side when a spine tingling breeze redirects his attention to the left where, like a miracle, she jogs out of the fog, tugging her scarf over her mouth with a huff.

Taehyung stands with a start, waving over at her when she manages to meet his honeyed gaze. She returns his greeting with an enthusiasm that she seems to possess whenever he crosses her mind.

How could she ever forget someone like him? It'd be a crime to do so.

He approaches her with a shudder and she raises her finger as if asking him to wait, rummaging through her bag for her notepad. He halts her movements by grabbing onto her wrists with a touch so gentle that it feels as if it's barely there.

But she can feel the warmth from his fingertips seeping into her skin.

She glances up at him quizzically, watching as he positions his hands in front of him and begins signing. 'How are you?'

Shock takes over her as she gasps at the way he clumsily executes the movements, her trembling hands flying to her mouth as he chuckles sheepishly, pulling a book out from his own bag.

Signing 101

'I learnt a few things,' he signs before shoving the book back into his bag and scratching the back of his head, his fingers wrapping themselves around his curled strands of hair. She can't help but jump up in joy, clapping her hands together as he internally coos at her reaction.

'But why?' she signs slowly back, taking it slow so he has time to process it. His eyes light up when he gets it, smile shy as he hooks one index finger around the other, holding it out towards her proudly.

'Friends.'

Stunned, she giggles and throws herself into his arms, his arms fastening around her waist as he grunts, holding her close to his chest as she tightens her hold on him.