A Step Forward

~Lunchtime~

Kawakami: "Hm? Oh F/n! How can I help you?"

You had headed over to the faculty office once your classes had concluded for lunch, needing to talk to Kawakami about something important.

You: "Could I talk to you? In private?"

Kawakami: "You had to pick right now? I was just about to enjoy my lunch"

You: "I'm really sorry but it'll be quick"

Kawakami let out a heavy sigh before scooting her chair out from under her desk and following you out of the office. You passed through halls of smiling students until you entered the guidance office, sitting down opposite one another.

Kawakami: "Well? Go on..."

You: "I need you to let me and Ann skip school"

Kawakami looked at you shocked, surprised at your directness in addressing what you needed from her. Her gaze quickly narrowed however, beginning to wonder what this was all about.

Kawakami: "Why?"

You: "I can't tell you"

Kawakami: "Huh?"

You: "Look, just cover for me and Ann. It'd just be a few days here and there, nothing major"

Kawakami: "Nothing major? Third semester just started and you want to start skipping school?!"

You: "You know my grades are good enough to miss some classes"

Considering the circumstances, you honestly couldn't afford to waste time at school while Maruki was busy editing reality. As such, you were hoping to get Kawakami to assist you and Ann in your efforts to skip school from time to time to work on more important matters.

Kawakami: "That may be true for you, but not Takamaki. Her grades outside of English still aren't great, and she can't afford to miss any lessons"

You: "I'll tutor her if I have to. This is important"

Kawakami: "If its so important then tell me what this is about! Maybe I can help"

Kawakami now leaned in closer to you, giving you a look of concern and worry. Despite her knowing of your involvement in the Phantom Thieves, and knowing snippets of how the Metaverse worked, trying to explain to her that the reality she was inhabiting wasn't real was something you honestly couldn't see yourself succeeding at.

You: "I can't, I'm sorry"

Kawakami: "I'm sorry too then, because I can't help you"

You: "But-"

Kawakami: "I told you before that my duty to my students is my number one priority now, and I can't in good conscience condone either of you skipping classes without a reason"

You wanted to argue, but you really couldn't. Helping Kawakami understand her worth as an educator had been a journey you had supported her on, and asking her to throw all that away now wasn't something you could do. Defeated, you hung your head a bit, sighing out heavily.