The Best Case Scenario

~After School~

Kasumi: "Right! I'll do my best, for Sumire's sake...and mine!"

The film ended there, the old CRT television turning back to static as it did. After carving a path through Mementos and finding a way to progress in Maruki's Palace you headed back there, fighting your way through the Shadows and any other security measures Maruki had in place. While exploring however, you had come across a tape and a dark room hidden away in the Palace with the old TV. The tape you had found showed you exactly how Maruki's actualisation could take place, watching Sumire be replaced by her sister like she had wanted so long ago.

Haru: "Was that..."

Sumire: "Yes. It was a counseling session I had with Dr. Maruki...just after Kasumi...after my sister passed away..."

You placed your hand on her shoulder. It was clear reliving the moment she had lost herself was tough on her, as it would be for anyone you could imagine.

Sumire: "I'll be alright senpai...don't worry"

Ann: "Sorry to interrupt, but there's something kinda bugging me. Didn't anyone you know notice you were going by the wrong name?"

Sumire: "Actually, I remember everyone calling me by Kasumi as well when I was like that"

Futaba: "You were probably mishearing on misinterpreting what you were being called to line up with your cognition"

Ryuji: "So that's why nobody thought it was weird, even her folks and herself...damn..."

You: "Remember your Dad at the shrine? How he sounded like static when he spoke your name? That must be when Maruki's actualisation started to break...if only a little bit..."

Akechi: "All of this must be part of all that 'salvation' nonsense Maruki is trying to force down our throats"

Sumire: "I admit, I really did feel saved in that moment when I became Kasumi...but at the same time, I ran from my life as Sumire. And while I am grateful for what Dr. Maruki did for me....I'm done running..."

Yusuke: "I believe I speak for everyone when we say we are happy to hear that"

You: "Alright people, let's continue on. Still gotta secure our route"

Makoto: "Understood"

Everyone began heading out of the back room and into the Palace once more, ready to continue your fight. As they did, you held back Sumire, waiting for the others to leave.

Sumire: "Senpai? What is-"

You stopped her mid sentence with a hug, holding her close to her surprise. She quickly relaxed, embracing you back the same way for a while. Eventually you pulled away, seeing a smile on her face.

You: "Just felt like you needed that"

Sumire: "O-Oh...well...maybe a lil"

You: "Won't be long til things go back to normal, okay? Gonna be a whole lot easier for us to hang out when the threat of Mementos merging with reality is out of the way again"

Sumire: "Definitely! Although..."

You: "Hm?"

Sumire looked a little depressed as she responded.