Chapter 20 - Hayden

1285

The message appears on my display mere seconds after I enter my apartment. I just drove Mila home, and even though I miss the taste of her strawberry lip balm, I know it was the right decision to call it a night. We're going at an irrational pace anyway, and I don't want her to feel pressured by my advances.

? I shoot back the message, raising a brow at her cryptic text.

That's the amount of peanut butter cups I eat in a year. Her message makes me laugh, and I shake my head in amusement as I lie down on the couch.

Good to know. I'll send out the order as soon as I can ;)

I watch the three dots appear and disappear, the smile on my lips turning into a chuckle when I read her next message a moment later. I'll be waiting. And counting, as soon as they're there. I hold off on my reply, watching the three dots do their work as she composes a new message. Thanks for today, Cash. I can only say it again—this was by far the best day I've had in my life. Thank you for being so thoughtful.

And this time, my smile is genuine, not amused. I'm sincerely glad she enjoyed herself. It was a real challenge to figure something out, to find a place special enough for someone as unique as her. Thank you for being there with me. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

It's true. This date was something I've never done before—and even if its purpose was to make sure Mila has a great time, I actually learned something too. Just watching Mila appreciate the literature in that room showed me how much she lives for what she does. It's inspiring.

Oh, and I'm glad you didn't run off with Celeste. Her message brings me out of my reverie.

Oh, she was trying, believe me... I shake my head with a laugh as I send the reply.

I do—she seemed quite flirty around you. Can't blame her, though. You are quite the charmer.

I'll say it again, Lucky. Only for you.

And Celeste. I'm fine with Celeste. I read her message, unable to hide the gigantic grin that curves on my lips. We may have said we'll get to know each other, but we never talked about exclusivity. Even though to me it's obvious, it might not be to her.

Only Celeste? I know it's farfetched to get a straight answer from her. I've gotten to know her enough to be aware of her insecurities, and I know how hard it is for her to stand her ground, sometimes.

Only Celeste. Her answer illuminates my display. Honestly, I'm not even surprised that she proves me wrong once again.

I can live with that. Is there some eighty-year-old man in your life I need to be worried about too?

It takes a while for her reply to come through, though my smile stays as bright as before; the effect this woman has on me is mind-blowing. No eighty-year-old man in my life. Just Mathilda and me.

Mathilda?

Shit...I did not just write that and send it, did I?

I snort at her words, knowing exactly what she means. My brain doesn't work properly when she's around, either. Who is Mathilda? I ask.

Promise not to laugh...

Cross my heart and hope to die, Lucky.

It takes another minute or two before she finally replies, and Lord, was I not prepared for that answer. Mathilda is my typewriter.