Chapter 57

Mila

One month.

It took one whole month to find a witness who could support Mike's theory. A woman who worked for Harvey Kreppel, the man my mother investigated, came forward with her own story.

Apparently, she worked as his assistant, and one day one of Kreppel's emails got forwarded to her. It was an invoice for a contract she couldn't find in their files, she only read the subject Lyne Deal.

She took the email to him, asked which money she should use to pay the invoice, but Kreppel instantly hit the roof. He threatened to hurt her daughter, saying this email wasn't supposed to be in her inbox and if she told anyone about this, he'd hurt both of them.

After keeping her mouth shut for years, she saw Dad's and my face on TV, and when she realized he has a daughter just as she does, she decided to step forward. She wanted to give this information to the police directly, but when she called them, they only waved her off, saying this was a closed case and she shouldn't call them further.

Luckily, she saw Mike on TV too, and went to visit him. They talked it through, and he got her a deal; she would lay the truth out there in exchange for immunity regarding her work with Kreppel, and a place in the witness protection program for her and her daughter.

The state is preparing a completely new case to look into Harvey Kreppel's business now; they've already arrested him to investigate Mom's death and countless other crimes I don't even want to think about. Kreppel will definitely go to jail—so much is clear after we heard our new witness's statement a few days ago. She had a lot to say about the man.

Even the prosecutor laid off. I guess he realized this statement changes things. They contacted internal affairs to investigate the police department and to find out who told our witness not to call again. It became obvious the justice system failed on multiple levels here.

"Jesus, what's taking so long?" Jas paces up and down the court hallway, a coffee in each of our hands as we wait impatiently for the jury to return. It hasn't even been ten minutes, but it feels like ages.

"Those things take time, usually." Hayden tugs me into his side. The nervousness in my veins instantly calms when he strokes my back and places a kiss on my head. "We'll be okay, peanut." It's his newfound nickname for me since it's still not time yet to tell everyone. He started using the word whenever the others are around, just to let me know he's thinking about our little peanut as well.

Also, my addiction to peanut butter cups makes the whole thing fitting and amusing, and I can't deny I could literally swoon every time he uses the name. I already know he's going to be a great dad.

"Guys!" Mike's voice makes all of us turn our heads, and he comes walking toward us with Dad on his heels, an excited look on both their faces. "The jury is back!"

"Come on, let's get this shit show over with," Dad says, and even though I feel like I'm about to faint from the nervousness, I can't help but smile at the fact that my dad actually cursed in front of me.

We're ninety-nine percent sure this will go in our favor, and still I run into my father's arms once more. We've been surprised too often to take his presence for granted.

"Come on, buttercup." He presses another kiss on my head, and Hayden takes my hand as we walk back into the courtroom.

God, my heart is pounding so hard in my chest, I feel like it might explode any second now. I do the breathing exercises Dr. Jones taught me, focusing on the feeling of Jasmine's hand in my own and Hayden's arm around my waist.

"We got you, Mimi," my best friend whispers, and only hearing her words make it hard not to burst into tears.

I can't really focus on much when the judge speaks; I only hear my blood rushing through my ears until he announces the jury will now tell us their verdict.