Chapter 51

Hayden

I feel like I'm in some sort of telenovela.

The amount of drama in our lives is astronomical. It's not even remotely funny anymore.

The only good thing that came out of all this is my decision to stay home for the rest of the season, even if it meant possibly missing the Super Bowl. I won that thing enough times to know what it means.

But now that I'm home with Mila, I see how much stress she's really in. I know she's trying to hide it, obviously not wanting us to worry, but her struggle is blatant to me.

It's been a few weeks since Kim got arrested, and even though Mila wasn't physically harmed, she's still cautious and overly attentive when we go outside. She has constant nightmares of being followed and kidnapped, and most nights she wakes up sweaty and exhausted from her dreams.

She's stirring again right now, and I know it won't take long until she starts kicking and yelling.

"Mila, baby, wake up," I whisper, trying to hold her close while she whimpers and shakes in my arms. She finally stops stirring, her arms slowly wrapping around me as she hides her face in the crook of my neck, her wet cheeks meeting my skin.

"Sorry."

"No." I press a kiss on her head. "Don't apologize, please." Honestly, I should be the one apologizing. I'm still working on the guilt that's resting on my shoulders from everything that's happened. I'd do anything to take this pain away from her, to make her feel better. "Baby, don't you think you should talk to someone about this?" I ask, hoping she won't hate me for it. I know she considered therapy for a while now with everything that's been going on, and I'm pretty sure it would help.

"I'm talking to you... Isn't that enough?" She looks up at me with those doe eyes. The pure emotion in them whenever our gazes lock is something I will never tire of.

"I don't know, love. I'm not an expert. And I'm worried about you. It's been a while since you slept through a night."

She rests her head on my chest, and I place a kiss on her temple when she takes a deep breath. "I'll think about it, okay?"

"Okay. Take your time—I'm not going anywhere."

"Hmm... Love you."

I can't help but smile when she mumbles the words, exhaustion obviously taking over again. "I love you too, Lucky."

***

When I wake up the next morning, I watch how Mila peacefully sleeps in our bed, her hair sprawled across her face as she snores quietly. It's a sight I'll never tire of, really, and still I tiptoe out of the room, wanting to prepare breakfast for all of us.

To my surprise, Sam is already working in the kitchen, the smell of coffee lingering in the air as he pours pancake batter into a pan. "Good morning," he says, shooting me that typical fatherly smile.

"Morning. How are you feeling?" I ask, pouring myself a cup of coffee.

"Good. But also a little worried."

"About the trial?"

He nods and flips the pancake with a sigh. "That, and also about Mila. She seems...different. Scared, almost."

And again, this wave of guilt crashes right into me; I know he's right. "Yes, I noticed that as well. I mean, we can't blame her—the stress she's been in is surreal. I'm surprised she's not pulling her hair out with everything that's happening."

Sometimes I wonder if Mila would be better off if I'd never pursued her. She would've been spared this life, the constant haunting and escaping the cameras and intrigues and betrayal. I know it's putting a strain on her sanity lately.