Chapter 52 - Mila

I know I'm acting irrationally right now. I'm obviously not myself.

With every minute that passes, I feel more and more awful. Hayden must be worried to death. I know he sleeps less than I do, because he stays up late, just to wake me up from my nightmares when they hit again.

It's not what he deserves. It's not what we are.

"Are you on your period or something?" Jasmine's voice startles me, and I turn to see my best friend storm toward me with a look that's about ready to kill. "I mean, really now. Why are you acting that way? Hayden is worried sick, same as your dad. You can't just run off like that—you know what happened!" she rambles on, seeming seriously pissed off by now.

"I don't want everyone to act like I'm some fragile china doll!" I cross my arms in front of my chest, still startled by her sudden appearance as I enter the park close to the apartment building.

"Well, tough shit—because you are. That outburst proved just that." I know she's pushing me on purpose; I should just swallow it. But it rubs me the wrong way, and so I come to a halt before I turn around to look at her.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

Jas raises an eyebrow, bracing her hand on her hip when she answers, "You're acting like a brat, Mimi. To people who don't deserve it. If you're angry at someone, be angry at Meredith, because she's the source of all this bullshit."

I regard her for a moment, and I quickly realize her words are true. I'm acting out on the people who have only ever been supportive and loving toward me. "I just... I don't understand, Jas. Why did she hate me so much?"

"Oh, Mimi..." All rage vanishes from her features when the tears stream down my face, and I can't even blink with how quickly she throws her arms around me, squeezing me so tightly I almost can't breathe.

"What did I do? Why do these people hate me so much? I've done nothing wrong, have I?" I sob into the hug, having a hard time controlling my sorrow.

"It's not on you, sweetie... These people are vultures. They just want to see people suffer to create a great story."

"And Kim? Did she really think that would've worked? I mean—"

"That woman is the devil's spawn. I'm sure she didn't think much when she came up with that stupid idea. I don't believe she has a brain, to begin with."

I can't help but laugh at her words, slowly feeling like I can calm down. Stepping out of her embrace, I wipe away the last bout of tears as I look at her. "I just feel so overwhelmed with everything. I don't even know what's going on."

She studies me for a second, and it's almost like something clicks inside her head before she takes her hand in mine, her gaze determined. "I know where we're going to go."

***

"Okay, I'll need to make a quick phone call. You should let Hayden know where you are—you know how worried he is."

"Yeah, you're right. I'll text him."

"Mimi." Jasmine shuts me down. "Come on. You love that man. You might at least indulge him with a phone call."

I sigh at her words, knowing that ultimately, she's right. He deserves to hear from me, and to be honest, I already miss him too.

Jas doesn't even wait for my response when she says, "Okay, I'll step outside. Just let me know when you're done." She presses a quick kiss on my cheek and steps out of the car.

I stare at my phone, the nerves overwhelming me. I don't want Hayden to be mad at me, or annoyed, or hurt by my behavior. I feel like such a bitch, and so goddamn overpowered by my emotions...