Chapter 35 - Mila

"Just ignore them." I run my hand through Hayden's hair, trying to calm the anger radiating off him.

"I just fucking hate these people. Can't they let me live my life?" He sighs, and I scoot closer into his lap.

We posted the announcement this morning, and even though it's already evening and we spent most of the day trying to ignore Hayden's phone, he still struggles with it.

"They want to know who you are. You're a mystery to them. A very handsome one at that."

His bright grin makes me giggle when he picks me up and throws me on our bed, his firm body as he towers over me. Our gazes meet, and the longer his emotional eyes dive into mine, the more all amusement washes away, and instead there's a deeply rooted vulnerability in his gaze. "Thank you," he whispers, the strain obvious in his voice. He props himself up next to me, his temple resting on his palm as he studies me with interest.

"For what?" I ask.

"For thinking I'm worth all of this. All the travels, the hiding, the media hassle..."

My heart aches for him. I know he's nothing like people perceive him. There's a susceptible spot in his heart that he uses for everything in his life, and he's thoughtful as hell, even if he appears to be a carefree spirit. "Baby...you're worth all of it and more. You know that," I whisper while placing my palm on his cheek, my thumb brushing over his skin.

"I love you so fucking much, Mila. I mean it." The way he looks at me just confirms his statement. I can see the love in his eyes, see that special glimmer that always appears when I'm in sight. It makes me feel cherished, loved, and so goddamn appreciated.

"I love you too."

He leans down, and the second our lips touch, I feel this rush of emotion, this outer-worldly love that pierces straight into my heart as I melt into him. I climb on top of him, deepening the kiss, challenging his tongue with every stroke of my own.

"Mila..." He growls into our kiss, but I suddenly can't get enough of him, can't get enough of his hands on me. I start drawing circles with my hips, and Hayden's fingers dig into my thighs as he moves with me, the friction already causing a violent thunder in my core.

I pull back to look at this man beneath me, his green stormy eyes diving into mine. He's so strong and yet gentle, has never judged me for anything, has always encouraged me to get out of my shell, to try new things. It's like he was made for me.

The ultimate fact is, I trust Hayden. With all that I have.

And maybe it's that, or maybe it's the weight of current events, but I want to be bold, to try something new. "Close your eyes," I order, and Hayden just raises an eyebrow, obviously a bit amused by this. He studies me for a second while I try to hold a straight face so I don't look like a madwoman, and after a brief moment, he seems to find what he was searching for, his eyes closing without another word.

"Don't move," I command again before I get up and dash into the walk-in closet, looking for everything I need. It takes longer than expected, and when I get back, my breath hitches at the sight in front of me. He's already undressed, only wearing his boxers, the rest of his chiseled body displayed on the king-size bed. "Did I not say you shouldn't move, Mr. Cross?"

A smirk plays on his lips before he speaks, his voice alone sending another shiver down my spine. "I figured I'd save you some time."

The grin on his face makes me giggle. I'm living every woman's dream right now, with a man like Hayden at my mercy. "Move your hands above your head."

He obeys my command, that grin still lingering as he folds his hands, and I immediately climb on top of him. He's already rock-hard beneath me as I lean down and whisper into his ear, "Do you trust me?"