Chapter 39 - Mila

We waited until we got back to Utah before we posted the press release about my dad. Hayden still has about a week to spend here, and with the next game being a tough one, he needs to focus.

And even though I know being with someone of his profession means there are times we can't see each other that often, it doesn't mean I'm not affected by it. He does everything he can to assure I feel loved and cared for, but considering there's a lot going on right now, I'd love to have him for my own, bathing in that little bubble and enjoying each other.

I'm doing my best to keep myself distracted with work, trying not to give in to the temptation to turn on the TV or scroll through social media. I know it would do more harm than good. But sometimes I give in, and usually, I'm surprised by the amount of positive feedback I see, especially regarding my father's case. There are so many people out there sharing his fate.

The vibration of my phone makes me glance next to me, the display illuminating with a text from Hayden. I'll be home for dinner. You mind ordering takeout?

The prospect of at least spending dinner with him excites me, so I type my reply with a smile. Pizza?

You bet.

Pepperoni with cheese crust?

See, that's why I love you. The text comes in seconds after, and I can't help but grin at his words.

Likewise, Cash.

The fact that we stayed strong and supportive of each other through all this, no matter how hard it got, brightens the beam on my face. It shows how strong we are together.

I order our pizzas and start researching organizations that help the wrongly imprisoned, and my eyes widen when I realize my dad's story already is on most of their webpages. Even the Innocence Project shared his article on their page.

He's getting attention.

"You're a VIP, Dad..." I close the laptop with a sigh. The positive reaction to my father's story awakens a new and exhilarating spirit within me, and I take a quick shower, wanting to be ready for Hayden when he comes back.

A knock on the door startles me when I'm looking for my clothes, and I peek through the bedroom door and frame as I yell, "Who is it?"

"Room service!" a female voice answers, and I'm instantly wide awake. I don't recognize the voice, but I don't want to ask for ID, either. It seems a bit extreme...

I quickly pull Hayden's oversize football jersey over my head and make my way to the door, but when I glance through the peephole, I don't see anyone. "Huh, that's weird..."

I cautiously open the door, and the first thing I see is a pair of white high heels that must've cost a fortune.

"Hello." The voice makes me look up, and it only takes a second to recognize the blonde in front of me. She stretches out her perfectly manicured hand. "I don't think we've been properly introduced. I'm Kim." Her straight white teeth shine when she smiles sickly sweet, and I glance at her fake red fingernails before my eyes settle on hers again.

"Mila. But you already know that," I say, pushing the glasses up my nose before I fold my arms in front of my chest, feeling a sudden and all-too-familiar rage within me.

"I see—this is how it is. Won't you invite me in?" She steps toward the door frame, but I move in her way, closing the door behind me but leaving it open enough for me to get back in.

"I don't think so," I answer through gritted teeth.

"Why not? I'm sure Hay wouldn't mind."

It irks me that she has a nickname for him, but I take a deep breath, trying my hardest to stay rational. "Well, Hayden isn't here," I hiss, stressing the use of his proper name. "And this is my home for now, too. I'd appreciate it if you left it."

A sly smirk creeps into her cheeks, and I can't help but want to slap it off her. I'm not a violent person—hell, I'm not even a person who throws verbal punches—but something about this woman and her connection to Hayden infuriates me. "You're not as shy as they paint you in the tabloids."

"Only idiots believe the tabloids. You know nothing about me."

"I guess that's true. Maybe I should ask Hay more about you." That disgusting smirk on her face only intensifies when she taps her chin, as if she was thinking about the next time she'll see my boyfriend.

"You stay away from him, you hear me?" I try to sound as confident as I can, my body moving toward her without my control. But then I see it. The flash of a camera. "Oh, you're kidding me, right?"

A triumphant smile crosses Kim's face. If it weren't for that camera, I probably would've seen what that fist of mine can do if I use it on her face.

"Why?" I ask, but I don't get an answer to that, because from the corner of my eye I see a very distraught-looking Hayden rush toward me.

"Mila? What the..."

"Hello, Hay," Kim says, but Hayden interrupts her before she can say anything else.

"Don't call me that." He strides toward us, anger visible in his eyes as I search his gaze, and I know I have to say something before he gives the vultures more to feed off.

"Babe. There are cameras."

Hayden stops right in front of her, looking just about ready to throw this woman off the roof as he asks me, "Has she been bothering you?"

"I think we both know the answer to that," I reply, and he immediately picks up his phone, dialing while shooting daggers at Kim in front of him.

"Kill, I'll give you five fucking minutes to sort your sister out before I call security, do you hear me?" His voice booms through the hallway, and I instantly reach out to pull him into the room as he listens to Kilian at the other end of the line. "I don't give a shit! She's at my fucking doorstep, Kill! She's bothering Mila, for fuck's sake!" He finally storms past me, not casting a glance at the blonde in the doorway.

I decide to put an end to this by slamming the door, only it doesn't slam shut. Instead, the expensive white heel stands between the frame and the door. "Move!" I almost yell at her, but she just smiles while peeking into the room, watching Hayden as he paces up and down the lounge, phone still glued to his ear.

I don't know why, but it makes me uncomfortable. I always try to make us feel at home wherever we are, so even though this is a hotel room, it feels like an invasion of my privacy.

Maybe it's that, or maybe it's the simple presence of this Barbie doll in front of me, but I press against the door once more, actually yelling now when she doesn't move. "I said move!"

But she just grins before slowly retreating that ugly-ass high heel, her voice laced with venom and still sugary sweet when she says, "This is just the beginning. You have no idea what you're up against, sweetheart."

Before I can even register what's happening, the door slams shut, a seething Hayden pressing his large palm against the door.

And as I look at him, I see it in his eyes. I see the worry, the anger, the rage. All of it displays how much he feels for me, and I hate how he continuously blames himself for something he has no influence over.

I'll make damn sure he knows I'm right with him, every step of the way.