Chapter 43 - Hayden

I know Mila was nervous as hell, and even though I tried to keep my cool, I can't deny I was shit scared too.

The thought that Sam might not approve of me had me worried, even though I was ninety-nine percent sure that wasn't the case. But I've barely met him, and I was fucking scared of screwing things up with him. I know Mila values his opinion, and it would break her if we didn't get along.

I offered to fly out today so they could have some alone time together, but Mila insisted I stay. She wants me to get to know her dad, and I can't deny I was goddamn glad about that. I'm not looking forward to the next weeks without her, and I want to be with her as long as possible before I have to get back to that shithole.

"What are we cooking?" Sam asks.

We're back in our apartment now; Mila's dad settled in the guest room while we moved some stuff from Mila's flat to the bedroom. I meant what I said to her. This place only becomes a home when she's in it, and I intend to keep it that way for when I come back permanently.

"What do you think?" Mila quips, the grin on her lips matching her father's as he rubs his hand in excitement.

"Lasagna?"

"Of course!"

I check the dish we put into the oven about half an hour ago, and then they just stand there, grinning at each other, and I watch their interaction with a smile. Mila already seems so much more relaxed, so free. My heart soars at that sight—I know the long distance will be worth just having her content like that.

The two of them join me in the kitchen to help prepare everything, and I can't deny that even though a father like Sam is a completely new concept to me, it's so goddamn refreshing and easy to be with them.

I mean, I care about my parents. They brought me into this world, after all, but they mostly care about my success and career. We don't really have a bond, and definitely not one like Mila and Sam do. To be honest, these two almost seem like best friends instead of father and daughter.

"I'll go set the table. Be right back." Mila gets on her toes to press a kiss on my cheek, and I meet her halfway before she walks through the apartment like she's lived here all her life.

She has that aura that makes everything so special, but easy. Almost like she's floating on clouds sometimes. It's fascinating to watch her move, to watch her exist.

"You've quite fallen for her." Sam's voice makes me turn my head, and I spot him leaning against the counter, looking over at me with a smirk on his face as I shove the lasagna in the oven.

"Oh, I still am falling for her." I turn around to face him. "She's...extraordinary."

He glances behind him, both of us now watching how Mila works on the table, a content smile on her face as she arranges plates, moving them around until she has the right setting. "That she is," he agrees before looking back at me, and I can see how he studies me, forming his own opinion about the man dating his daughter. "You're awfully generous with her."

His words make me widen my eyes. Oh, no.

"Don't think I don't know who's paying for all of this. I know her book was good, but I also know she didn't have the kind of money to get me out of there. Not to mention Mike, who must be expensive too."

I can't read what he's thinking, and I have to admit it scares the shit out of me. "For the record, she wasn't fond of the idea," I concede.

"I can imagine."

"But," I add, "she was miserable. Seeing you in there. I think it took much more out of her than she let on, and as I told you before, I love her. A lot. And I can't stand to see her hurt."