Chapter 22 - Mila

I'm floating.

No, I'm shot into the sky with a force and intensity I definitely didn't expect, because Hayden Cross keeps his promises. He is the all-or-nothing kind of guy, pulling every string to make me feel appreciated, wanted, and most of all, seen. He awakens something in me, something energizing, life-changing, and utterly dangerous.

Antonio is a tad too flirty for my liking, and he talks us through the different coffees and grinds and roasts and everything that comes with it. But I'm unable to listen to half of what he said. Hayden just keeps shooting me those undressing glances, keeps stealing not-so-accidental touches, and it's almost impossible not to give in to him, not to melt under his gaze.

I'm glad when Antonio starts packing up, leaving Hayden and me at the other corner of the terrace. His arms circle around my waist, tugging me closer to his chest as his heavy breath travels down my neck, the sensation sending goosebumps over my skin. "Hayden," I breathe out, but I feel the smirk on his lips when they hover over the sensitive spot behind my ear.

"Yes, love?" He rests his chin on my shoulder, his five-o'clock-shadow scratching my neck in the most pleasurable way possible, and I try my hardest not to sigh out loud from the sensation of his skin on mine.

I don't acknowledge Hayden's newfound nickname for me, even though it makes my mouth go dry within a split second. Because the way he says it, like I'm the only one who should be called that, is mind-blowingly sexy, and I can't deny that I like the name. Way more than I should.

And then he starts kissing my neck, sending jolts of electricity through my whole body as his lips travel down to my collarbone, where he whispers against my skin, "You were saying...?"

My mind is working on overdrive, racing at a hundred miles per hour as I try to focus on the situation we're in. "He's..." I have to clear my throat, my voice stuck somewhere between the sparks flying through my veins and the scent of his aftershave. "He's still here..."

Hayden simply continues, his fingers intertwining in front of my stomach as his hot breath travels down my chest. "I'm aware..." His voice is so deep, I can feel the vibration travel through my chest from how close we are.

"Then why..." I suck in a breath when he suddenly grazes his teeth over my skin. "Why are you doing what...what you're doing?" I place my hands over his own on my stomach, not knowing where else to put them. Antonio glances in our direction, and I clear my throat once more, trying to signal Hayden that this is...rude? I don't know.

"Because I don't like the way he looks at you."

His statement makes me tilt my head to look at him, his eyes now shooting daggers at Antonio in front of us. "You what?"

"Lucky..." He growls. "Your hearing."

"Sorry. I heard what you said, I mean, I don't—"

"You don't what?" he interrupts and averts his stare to look straight at me, a hint of heat and possessiveness glimmering in his green eyes.

"I don't...I don't know why," I answer honestly.

"You don't know why I don't like the way he looks at you?"

I don't even get to respond to that, though. Instead, Antonio suddenly stands in front of us, stretching out his hand.

"Signor, signora. It was a pleasure to host you this day. I hope you have a fine evening," he says and shakes my hand, his eyes burning on my skin as he validates me with his gaze. I feel so dirty suddenly that I flinch when I remove my hand from his own before I place it in Hayden's right next to me.

Antonio doesn't seem flustered, though. He just moves his hand to Hayden, who now stares him down like a bull, squaring up to full height behind me. "You can go now." His voice thunders around us, and I can't help but stare at him with wide eyes—if it wasn't so unearthly sexy, I would've said it was really rude. But I can't deny I'm glad when Antonio walks off, shaking his head on the way to the elevator.