Chapter 53 - Mila

"I can't believe she isn't even sorry about anything. The woman is seriously insane..." Jasmine sighs after I put my phone away.

We're on our way to wherever Jas wants me to go, and I just shot Hayden a text to let him know that I'm fine so he doesn't worry again.

"Yeah, she seemed like she really had a loose screw up there..." I take a deep breath before closing my eyes, trying to gather my thoughts.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah," I nod, "I think so. Speaking to her wasn't really enlightening. It was rather enraging. But still... I think it was a good idea to see her. I needed closure..."

Jas nods in agreement. "Yeah, I feel the same. I mean, she's kind of right, the two of us were always closer, but still. No reason to go off like that."

"Definitely..." I answer, but then realize we're nowhere near the city center, where I expected us to go, "Wait, where are we going?"

She glances over to me, cautiously but determinedly. "We're almost there."

And then she pulls into the parking lot of a building I haven't looked at for quite a while, parking right in front of the door.

"No, Jasmine."

"Mimi." She turns to look at me when the engine is off. "We need to figure out what's going on with you. The puking, the panic attacks, the insomnia... It's not normal. At least talk to him. He's helped you before."

I look up at the tall medical center building, the one where all my doctors reside, including my GP Dr. Jones. He always had a soft spot for me and did more than just medically heal me some days.

"I don't know, Jas..."

"Well, I do. Now go up there before I make you."

"You're not coming with me?" I ask.

"Do you want me to?" She raises an eyebrow, and I can't help but smile. Because she's right. I don't need her.

"No, I'll be fine," I say.

"Good. I'll just be waiting here, alright?"

"Okay. I'll see you later."

With my heart pounding in my chest I make my way to the elevator and press the button for the fifth floor. I've been here countless times when dad first went to prison, my doctor helped me through a lot and I didn't even thank him properly.

I can't help but cringe when I step out of the elevator, though. The only thing I always hated about this place was his assistant, she's snarky and impolite, especially toward women.

"Can I help you?!" she snarls, looking me up and down.

"I..." I try to speak, but the words won't leave my mouth. I hate that people like her still have an effect on me.

"Mila!" Dr. Jones says when he suddenly bursts out of a door to my left, his eyes growing wide when he takes me in, "What a surprise."

He pulls me in for a hug, almost crushing me from the force. The feeling is so familiar, it reminds me so of so many moments where I felt weak and he built me up again, acting as a father when mine was locked away, that I can't help but feel overwhelmed again.

Dr. Jones ducks his head to study me when he breaks the hug, his eyes filling with sympathy when he seemingly understands what's wrong with me.

"Jillian," he addresses his snarky assistant, "Please move my appointments for the next half hour unless it's really urgent. An emergency just came in."

With that he escorts me into the room he just got out of, gesturing toward the empty chair at the other side of the white desk in the middle of the room.