Chapter 27 - Hayden

I really thought it'd be a good day.

I had such a spectacularly good morning. Even though Mila's so far away, I feel like we're getting closer and closer every day, and the more I peel off her layers, the more I like what I see. I've never met a woman this multifaceted and full of surprises.

But then I went into that studio, and this goddamn skank of a woman couldn't stop ogling me and asking all those stupid questions. I was so close to losing it completely, but I promised Mila I'd keep this quiet between us, and I couldn't lose my cool just because this woman knew which buttons to press.

I'm glad I kept it together, just a little at least. But as soon as I got out of that room, quickly escorted by the network's security team, I ran into Hank. Of course. And he was unimpressed as hell.

"What the hell were you thinking, Ice? You know our strategy. Bachelor quarterback, available for those desperate women out there—because who knows? You might just give them a chance." He waves his hands around to get his point across, but I can only roll my eyes as I stride past him.

"Yeah, I didn't think anything. I don't care, Hank."

"What?"

"I won't give anyone a chance—did you not hear me out there?" I turn around and glare at him.

"Of course I did, but you can't just go around and ruin your reputation for some fucking fling!"

"She's not just a fling, Hank!" I'm close to punching him by now. I guess that's why I spin on my heels and walk away, not once looking back.

"Then who is she?" His voice echoes through the hallway.

"I said it to Annie and I'll say it to you, Hank. It's none of your fucking business!"

I rush out of the building and into the next cab, wanting to get the hell out of here. By the time I finally get into my hotel room, all I want to do is call Mila, hear her voice, tell her why I just did that...because fuck, I really didn't think. Annie was right—the media is going to freak out tomorrow, and even though I don't give a shit about it, I know Mila does.

"Where the fuck is it?" I groan as I search through my bag. But of course, I seem to have lost my mind. I can't find my damn phone anywhere, and in my situation, my phone is tightly bound to my sanity. "Shit, I must've left it at the studio."

I can't even call anyone to ask; I don't have my goddamn phone. Considering how the whole thing with Mila started, this is just ridiculous.

What do I do now?

My gaze flicks to my football gear in the bag near the door, and suddenly an idea crosses my mind. "Kilian." Yes, Kill should be here.

I run down the hallway until I reach his room, and I slam my fist against the door, impatience getting the better of me.

"Hayden?" A blonde with undeniable similarities to my best friend opens the door.

My eyes widen at the sight of Kill's big sister, her hand propped on her hip as she throws her thin arms around me.

"Wow, it's been a while! How are you doing?"

I quickly break out of her hug, the scent of her distinct perfume immediately making me scrunch my nose as I pull back. "I'm good, thanks, Kim."

Silence settles between us as I step inside the room and take a seat on the lounge chair, watching how she drapes herself on the couch opposite to me in typical Kim-fashion. She's always been a showgirl, and even though I've known her a long time, I still don't understand her way of life.