Chapter 62 - Mila

God, I'm nervous as hell.

Why did I have to be so stubborn about this?

Probably because I felt bad. We've always been so preoccupied with Dad's issues that we never really talked about Hayden's family. I know they're not the closest, and I know he thinks they're superficial and that he doesn't want to speak to them.

But somehow, I can't believe that.

Call it pregnancy intuition, or just common sense; I simply can't imagine that life without his parents is so much better that we shouldn't even try to speak to them. And still, I'm sitting here, rubbing my sweaty palms on the fabric of my new silk dress. Hayden insisted we go shopping before I meet them; he said he wanted me to feel comfortable and beautiful.

"I can do a U-turn right now, love." He glances over as I take deep breaths, knowing we're almost there.

"Nope," I say, feeling the tension when he sighs heavily. His eyes are back on the road as he grips the steering wheel, the skin on his knuckles turning a dangerous shade of white.

We drive through one of the fanciest suburbs I've ever seen, enormous mansions left and right with neatly trimmed trees and hedges surrounding them. I knew his parents were loaded, but I didn't know they were the statue-in-the-front-yard kind of rich.

I notice the crease between his brows as he guides us through this maze, his eyes looking somewhat lost. We approach a large white gate, which opens as soon as we near it, immaculate roses and bushes building a gateway until we reach a fancy entry area, two flights of stairs leading up to a heavy-looking bronze door.

Hayden stops the car right in front of the stairwell, turning his head to look at me. "I told you they're different..." He takes my hand in his own, guiding my knuckles to his lips to brush a kiss on my skin.

"I don't mind. Remember what I said; I love you for who you are with me, not for where you come from or who people make you out to be."

He studies the ring on my finger, twisting it around with a sigh. "I just don't know what good will come of this."

I place my palm on his cheek, trying to rub the frown off his face. "We're having a baby. Your parents will be grandparents. I'm sure they want to be a part of their life." It's insane how quickly my own worries dissipate at the prospect of him worrying as well. He'll always be my priority, alongside our child.

"I don't know," he whispers, fear audible in his voice.

"Baby, what are you so afraid of?"

"I just..." Hayden sighs as he leans back on the headrest of his seat, closing his eyes to gather his thoughts. And once again, I understand Hayden Cross is an extraordinary man, a man who breaks all the stereotypes and barriers of society. He's a man who allows himself to feel, to open up. "I just don't want them to... I don't know. Scare you away?" he admits, and I probably would've laughed at that statement, if he didn't look so damn worried.

For the first time, I think he might regret not marrying me on the spot when I asked him to.

"Look at me." I try using my stern voice, even though I have no idea if it actually has an effect or not. The faint hint of a smirk on my fiancé's face tells me I indeed have to practice that particular choice of approach, but I choose to ignore it, needing to get my point across. "I know I'm not the most confident of women out there. I'm not the most self-assured and quick-witted person. But if you believe I'd give anyone even the slightest bit of a chance of changing my mind about you, you really must be delusional." I support my statement with a quick kiss. "Let them be who they are. I can deal with it, as long as I know you're by my side. You're the person I want to spend the rest of my life with, the man I want to call my husband as soon as possible. Don't let the image of your parents change what you already know. I love you. All of you."