she sings you to sleep

You've spent the last thirty minutes tossing and turning in bed, desperate to fall asleep, but you're still wide awake.

The day had been a little rough and you were actually tired once you and Camila made it up to bed just an hour ago. But somewhere along the way, you got a second wind and no matter how much you try, you can't seem to sleep.

You were trying to be still. You know that if you keep moving around Camila will surely wake up and she too had a hard day. She deserved a good night's rest.

But it was getting challenging to stay still when you were becoming annoyed. You knew that time was ticking by. You were thankful neither of you had anything to do or anywhere to be tomorrow. It calmed your mind just a little to know that you have time to make up for your lack of sleep.

You sat up in bed. Tired of just laying there to stare at the ceiling or the wall, you thought about getting up to go grab some water or turn on the tv downstairs to entertain yourself. But before you could even think about moving Camila moved her hand from her pillow and over to rest on top of yours.

"What are you doing?" She mumbled as she slowly opened her heavy eyes. You could tell she was utterly exhausted. With dark circles under her eyes and the sleep laced in her voice, it was clear that she wanted nothing more than to just roll over and go straight back to sleep. But she was more worried about you.

"I can't sleep." You replied sadly.

"Oh, baby," she turned onto her back and rubbed her eyes. "I'm sorry you're having a rough night. Especially since your day wasn't exactly fantastic, either." She mumbled. "What can I do for you? Do you need anything?"

"No. No, don't fuss over me. You're tired. You should go back to sleep, I'll be just fine. I'll just go watch some tv downstairs or something."

She shook her head and caught your wrist gently in her hand. "Absolutely not. No need for that, my girl. Just stay here. You'll fall asleep soon, I'm sure. And until you do, I'll stay up with you."

This was the opposite of what you wanted. As much as you love Camila and you enjoy every waking minute with her by your side, you feel guilty for keeping her up when she's obviously tired.

"You really don't have to."

"I know." She said. "But I want to. There's no way I could sleep knowing you're frustrated and wide awake. Just close your eyes."

"Camila, it's not gonna work. I've tried laying here with my eyes closed already. It does nothing but frustrate me more." You groaned but calmed down when you felt her lips brush against your cheek.

"Shh. Just trust me." She said.

You sighed but closed your eyes anyways. You felt her fingers brush along your spine; up and down and in soft little circles. You heard her voice in your ear. You recognized the song as living proof and as you do every time, you closed your eyes and felt yourself relax.

"I love you," you interrupted and smiled softly when you felt her give you a kiss on your temple.

"Love you too. Sleep now." She whispered out and continued to sing and hum until you fell asleep just moments later.

She felt a warmth spread through her hear. It's all it ever takes to calm you down; the sound of her voice and the touch of her hand.

"Sweet dreams, baby." She said softly and let her head fall onto yours, quickly falling asleep to the sound of your soft, steady breaths.