OL 6

"Toh kaisi lagi ?" Zareena asked Bashar on dinner making him fluster

"Achhi hai" Bashar said playing with his food.

"Aur Rabi...tumhe kaise lagi Sanam?" Zareena then turned to Rabiah who was lost in her own thoughts.

"Rabi" Zareena called her once more but seeing no reaction coming out, Shaziya shook her shoulder "Mami kuch puch rahin hain"

"Haan Maami" Rabiah looked at Zareena

"Sanam kaisi lagi tumhe..Bashar ko toh pasand hai"

Rabiah stole a glance at Bashar who looked quite happy..."Bashar ko achi lagin hain toh achhi hi hongi"

"Haan ye bhi hai shaadi toh ise hi karni hai" Zareena said to which everyone nodded and again back to their food.

-------------------------

"Assalam Walekum Rabiah" Rabiah was shocked to find Sanam on the hall of the couch in the afternoon.

"Walekum Assalam" Rabiah greeted back

"Kahaan jane ki taiyyari ho rahi hai" Sanam asked seeing Rabiah's attire.
Before Rabiah could say something, Shaziya frowned "Arre puchho mat is ladki ko mai jabran bahar nikaal rahin hun...ghar se office..office se ghar....room me bas kand kiye rehti hai apne aap ko"

"Acha Ammi mai nikalti hun.. Humi ka call aa raha hai...mujhe abhi ek ghanta lagega wahaan pahuchne me aur driver uncle bhi nahin hain"

"Toh Bashar chhod dega aisa kya hai" Zareena intervened looking at Bashar who was busy in his phone.
He lifted his head "Sanam ko bhi  ghar chodna hai.....mai cab book kar de raha hun Rabiah ke liye"

Rabiah bit her lips to control the emotional upheaval.."U..us ki koi zarurat nahi hai...Aariz pick kar lega mujhe"

Saying that she rushed out fearing geeting caught with tears.

-------------------------------------------------------

"Bashar..shaadi hui nahin ki abhi se blood pressure low ho gaya" Shaziya teased Bashar who was getting checked up by the family doctor.

"Haan dekho toh" Zareena came in the hall bringing some refreshments along with Sanam when Bashar's phone kept on the table started ringing.

"Ammi utha lein zara..." Bashar requested Zareena as his hands were busy.

"Hello.." Zareena answered but next second shrieked "Kya"

"Kya huwa Bhabhi.." Shaziya asked

"Ra Rabi ka accident ..." Zareena stuttered making Bashar and Shaziya stand up at once with panic stricken faces.

Bashar atonce snatched the phone with shivery hands"Ka khaan ho tum log...".

And in seconds, Bashar was seen rushing out like a mad man.

" Wo bahut ghabraye hue hain..mai jata hun unke sath" The family doctor followed fearing Bashar may get a panic attack.

"Shaziya kuch nahi hoga...sambhalo" Zareena was herself not in a good state. Sanam came and started rubbing Shaziya's shoulder "Khala kuch nahin hoga....."

Zareena called the doctor to atleast know where they were going.

Abbas was called next and in no time he was there in the house.
They drove to the mentioned hospital with bated breath.

Seeing Bashar and Humeira with some people probably Aariz's parents in the corridor, they ran towards them.

"Kaise hain dono?" Abbas asked Bashar who didn't speak.

"Uncle.. Aariz theek hai lekin"

"Lekin" Abbas asked with a rapid heartbeat

"Ra Rabiah ki situation bahut critical hai...doctors keh rahe hain uske coma me jane ka khatra hai"

The words just shook everybody's ground. Shaziya would have fallen down if Abbas had not caught her in time.

"Sab theek ho jayega Allah sab theek kar dega Shaziya" Zareena consoled a crying Shaziya. Abbas looked at Bashar who was staring into some blank space without any emotion.

"Inhe react karwayein..." the family doctor took Abbas to a side and pointed at Bashar..."Wo shock me jate dikh rahe hain"

Abbas took Bashar to a secluded area and tried talking but didn't get any reaction. He went to Zareena and asked her to go to Bashar while he sat with Shaziya.

"Bacha .. kuch nahin hoga..." Zareena cupped Bashar's face ....."Maine kaha tha ye sab na karein..dekhein kya ho gaya"
Bashar mumbled after an umpteenth number of  tries by Zareena "Phuphi use sabak sikhana chahti thin....sabak humein mil gaya"

"Maine bola tha mujhe usse shaadi kar lene dein...sab theek ho jayega" Bashar mumbled with tears slowly covering his cheeks and in seconds the silent tears turned into loud sobs. He was crying like a child holding Zareena who fought back her tears and rubbed his back.

The doctor had informed that the next 24 hours would decide Rabiah's fate.
She was lying unconscious with a bandaged head. The oxygen mask on her face made sure she was breathing.

Sitting next to her, Bashar held her hand "I am sorry baby.......bahut tang kiya na maine...mai ye nahi karna chahta tha...mujhe tumhari kasam de di thi sab ne aur you know na how much I love you. Lekin that doesn't mean I don't deserve a punishment..I do...so just get up and punish me"

"Mai kuch bhi karunga... murga bhi ban jaunga..phir tum chahe jitna hasna....Please na baby ..I miss you.....and I know you miss me too...so stop the drama now and get up "

Bashar had been incoherently mumbling what all his heart desired when the doctor entered and politely asked him to leave. Bashar nodded and went out.

The next 24 hours were like torture to the Khans. Nobody had slept that night in hope of a miraculous morning.

In the wee hours of morning, they saw the doctor who was attending Rabiah rushing to her cabin. The anxiety almost got them near a panic attack.

After sometime, the doctor came out with a visibly happy face but those few minutes had got their breath stuck.

"Patient ko hosh aa gaya hai....par abhi unhe aaraam karne dein" The doctor smiled . Abbas vehemently  thanked the doctor who patted his back and went away.

------------------------------------------

"Kaisa hai mera bachcha" Shaziya caressed Rabiah's face with motherly affection.

Rabiah was in a daze..she was under the effect of medicines and her eyelids failed to open for long. She blinked in response assuring her mother that she was okay.

She next felt someone caressing her other side of the face..she could feel the love  ... the love she was craving for so long.

Her eyelids did some hardwork and lifted themselves to make her catch the sight of the person the touch belonged to and next second tears filled in them.

"I am sorry...." She tried to mouth

"Sshhh........." Bashar  wiped her unshed tears and placed a loving kiss on her  temple...."Aaraam se so jao...tumhara Bashar tumhare paas hai"

The love filled words did their magic bringing Rabiah the most beautiful sleep of her life.

RAABTA : A collection of short storiesजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें