Chapter 1

The world sped past Hermione as she fell forward in slow motion. She hit the ground abruptly, her nose and forehead cracking on the stone floor, her elbow dislocating as it caught her weight, and her chest burned where the Time-Turner dug in. Her vision blurred and she had a hard time staying awake. There was no way she could pass out now, not knowing where or when she was. She was in denims and the only school paraphernalia on her body was her Gryffindor cardigan. She'd discarded her tie when she'd changed out of her skirt before dinner, and now she could be near a group of Slytherins.

"Oh dear," she heard a startled gasp. Somewhat familiar, a woman, though not one she had frequent contact with. "How—"

"Help," Hermione managed to croak, catching sight of two robe hems before she blacked out. It was oddly comforting that one of them was such an awfully bright shade of yellow.

—————H—————

She awoke in the hospital wing, confused and far sorer than she should be considering all she was being treated for was a run-in with dementors. Then she remembered Harry playing with the Time-Turner as he sat on her bed. Mrs. Norris. Falling.

Oh.

Oh.

She tried to sit up, but found her right arm in a sling and her fingers wrapped. She turned her head to the right, noting the sunlight streaming through the windows, then turned to the left.

Her heart leapt in her throat at the sight of Professor Dumbledore smiling warmly back at her.

"Hello," he said softly. "We were beginning to wonder if you planned to wake up."

"I'm sorry, sir," she said automatically, her voice dry and cracking with disuse. "I didn't mean to worry anyone." Hermione attempted to sit up again, this time using her left arm. It was a struggle, but she managed to sit up. Now with her back against the headboard, she could see the top of the bedside table. It hadn't occurred to her that her wand could have been lost or broken, but seeing it unharmed within her reach brought a sense of relief.

"I would ask how you came upon this particular Time-Turner." Dumbledore caught her attention once more, and she turned toward him so quickly that a throb spread throughout her head. He was holding up the Time-Turner by the chain, showing the broken hourglass with no sand, a bit of red staining the jagged ends of what remained. "But I suspect I gave it to you."

She cleared her throat. "What was special about it?"

Dumbledore set the Time-Turner on the table near him and poured her a cup of water.

After she'd taken a few sips, Dumbledore took a breath. "It's special in that it is one of the few Time-Turners without limitations. It is thought to be one of the first of its kind and was used by a couple of wizards before it was deemed too dangerous. Terrible things happen to wizards who meddle with time, especially when they cannot return to where they came from." At this, Dumbledore peered at her over his glasses in a scolding manner.

She knew this. There was a reason she'd hidden from herself throughout the year, why she and Harry had waited to save Sirius. But having this affirmed to her moments after waking, speaking to a man whom she knew but who clearly did not recognize her, had tears springing to her eyes.

"There's no possible way?" she sniffed. When Dumbledore shook his head, she let out a mirthless laugh. "Then I wonder how long I need to wait before I kill Harry for playing with it."

"This was an accident?" Dumbledore asked, and she peeked to see his puzzled expression. She nodded and looked up at the ceiling. "I see," he said solemnly.