Chapter 54

—————H—————

January 1, 1997

The mid-afternoon sun shone through the windows in such a cheery way that it almost emulated the sun of spring. Hermione had always found that fascinating, how there was always a difference in the way the sun shone through the seasons. With the clear skies and the chipper atmosphere, one might have thought it was set to be a pleasant day.

But it wasn't.

The discussions with the Weasleys on Christmas Eve had been beneficial; Alastor had thought it best to start the new year with no secrets between those they really trusted.

There had never been so many people in her home, let alone her living room. She had to remind Molly multiple times that this was her residence and her kitchen, and they didn't need a massive meal for what they were about to discuss. Arthur, bless him, had sat his wife beside him and given her knitting supplies to keep her occupied. Bill had stood behind them both, a hand on each of their chairs, as though ready to hold them there at a moment's notice.

Remus and Sirius sat on her sofa, keeping Minerva between them as a buffer. Kingsley stood with Tonks near the mantel, opposite the stairs where the children were.

Molly had protested their presence, but after being reminded of their previous discussion, she stopped. Aurora, Draco, Harry, Ron, Ginny, and Leo all sat on the steps, behind the railing slightly, as though they wanted to hide, lest someone change their mind and send them away. The twins had been on the landing, solemn for once, the weight of the tension settling around them.

Hermione stood with Severus in the doorway to their kitchen, and everyone focused on Alastor.

It was only fitting that their mentor be the leader of this niche of the Order. He was someone to answer to, someone everyone knew they could trust, and someone who had already butted heads with Dumbledore and stayed in his favor.

He'd stood with both hands on his walking stick, head turned one way, magical eye scanning the other.

"You all swear to keep this between us? No one else. No one, hear. You are being looped in on this because time's a-ticking and we need to get our stuff straight if we're gonna make it through what comes next."

Molly shuddered, and Arthur rubbed her arm.

"What's next?" Tonks asked.

"Dumbledore's death," Alastor said, and no one spoke.

Hermione watched as Harry stood up slowly, hands gripping the railing and ignoring Draco's hand on his leg.

"Dumbledore's death?" one of the twins echoed.

"It's his hand, isn't it?" Harry asked. "He says it's nothing, but..."

"He has months left, at most," Severus said, meeting Harry's gaze. "He won't live beyond the end of the school year."

"That seems convenient," Kingsley mused suspiciously, and Severus looked at Alastor, who nodded.

"Dumbledore refuses to be cured. Heard o' the incident in Hogsmeade involving a student?"

"We were there," Tonks said as Kingsley nodded.

"Girl's been cured of a curse that should've killed her. We know, if he'd let us, Dumbledore could be saved, too. He picked up a cursed object and it cursed him. Lucky Severus was there, else we might've been without a leader of the Light much sooner."

"I still don't believe it," Molly said, shaking her head, knitting needles clacking harder than before.

"I've looked into it, Molly," Remus said. "As much as none of us want to believe, there are newspapers from the twenties, evidence that he isn't as benevolent as he tries to appear."