Chapter 53

—————A—————

December 23, 1996

"I think this one for Dad." Leo pointed to a small silver cauldron on the shelf, and Aurora came over to examine it.

"No," she concluded. "He has one of those. Although... I think after he started brewing for Professor Lupin—"

"Remus," Leo interjected.

"—his was worn down."

"Because you aren't supposed to use a silver cauldron that frequently."

"It gets too malleable," Aurora agreed. "So, we get him this, and then head over to Flourish and Blotts, get Mum that Charms book, and we're good."

"Agreed," Leo said, watching as Aurora grabbed the cauldron. He wandered along the wall toward the register, passing books when he paused and then backed up. A moment later, he snickered. "Have you gotten that bloke you're seeing a gift yet?"

"Er, why?" Aurora asked.

Leo slipped Grass, Bugs, and Water , a child's introduction to potions and imaginary play from the shelf. "I heard that this was about his skill level."

She rolled her eyes. "Neville's not even in Potions this year," she said, closing the distance between them and taking it from him. She slid it back onto the shelf. "And yes, I got him a gift. A nice book on the varying techniques used in Herbology around the world."

It was, admittedly, much more difficult than she made it sound to find Neville something befitting a Christmas present. It had been a bit easier with Fred. She'd asked her Muggle grandmother to send her prank candy, which she'd mixed in with some regular Muggle candy. He hadn't been able to get around to it until after his father was released from St. Mungo's, but he'd loved it. She was fairly certain a few of the simpler candies in their shop were inspired by them, if not outright Muggle.

The siblings made their purchase, then headed across the street. They were in and out of the shop relatively quickly, having been frequent patrons of the book shop since their youth.

"So," Aurora said, looking at the boarded-up shops that dotted most of the alley, "where shall we go now? Mum and Dad aren't expecting us to Floo back for another thirty minutes or so."

Leo smirked. "I wouldn't mind seeing how the dunderheads are doing with the shop."

She sighed but plastered on a grin anyway. "All right," she agreed, putting her arm around his shoulder and leading him down the alley.

It was still fairly magical, all things considered. Diagon Alley at Christmastime was nearly as impressive as many of the Muggle shops on the other side of the barrier. With the snow falling, the enchanted fairy lights on the awnings, some with garland, some with ribbon, gave a festive feeling that very nearly brought out the Christmas cheer in the pair of Snape children.

And the Weasleys' Wizarding Wheezes was among the decked out, even the Fred sign was wearing a Santa hat, as well as his bunny. They could see how busy it was even from a distance.

"I would say the dunderheads are doing well," she commented.

"Yes, but I still want to go see them."

"And you will tomorrow, at Harry and Sirius'."

"Rory, it's not the same," he protested, and she frowned as he stomped his foot a bit. "I'll be your firstie kid brother there."

"And in there, you're what?"

"A friend. Former employee."

"And I go in there, do you know what that makes me?"