Chapter 46

—————S—————

August 3, 1996 (continued)

"Would you like me to do it now?" Severus deadpanned. "Or would you like a few moments to compose an epitaph?"

Dumbledore chuckled. "Oh, not quite yet. I dare say the right moment will present itself."

"Oh, quite likely," Severus said, a touch of viciousness to his voice. "With an audience, I would wager. Which is why I was creating the spell. To make it appear as though you are dead until we can revive you. Only now, you've gone and gotten yourself cursed!"

"In this case, Severus, you will be saving me from what would surely be an embarrassing and painful death."

"Because Merlin forbid the wizarding world ever see you as anything less than infallible," Severus sneered. "And any spell I use? Hardly less painful. I believe my father was alive a full minute before he bled out, and had Bob not been so far gone, he'd have taken just as long."

"No, Severus. I think you must use the Killing Curse to prove yourself Tom's above all others."

Severus huffed. "An Unforgivable? You realize, of course, that you have to mean it. I may not always care for you, Albus, but I certainly don't hate you enough to kill you."

Albus smiled that damned twinkling smile, and Severus' gut churned.

"You may come to find, Severus, that you may have more reason to kill me than you think."

April 9, 1981

"I want another baby," Hermione said to him, pressed against his side, the feel of her skin against his enough to stir a desire to give her exactly what she wanted.

He smiled, turning to look at his wife. His beautiful, wonderful wife, who seemed to take to motherhood like a fish to water. She still worked, of course, lending her considerable talents to many establishments that needed a bit of Arithmancy. She was consulted frequently since some of the Master Arithmancers had gone into retirement, and Septima Vector had decided to join the Hogwarts staff. But Hermione was able to keep up with the requests while spending more than adequate time with their daughter. And for six months old, Severus thought she had a bright, intelligent gleam in her deep brown eyes that shone with curiosity and mischief.

He loved that little girl, and her existence made him love Hermione even more.

"Another? So soon?" he asked, rolling onto his side, making Hermione lie on her back. The blankets shifted in a way that nearly exposed her, and his eyes took in the expanse of skin revealed to him.

"Well, there's no saying that we'll fall pregnant anytime soon. It takes time for your body to be able to handle a pregnancy. And even if we were to right away, it would be nine months or so before the other baby would be here. Aurora would be one by then and..." she trailed off as Severus shifted over her. "I want another baby with you," she said in a hushed tone. "I want a family, a wonderfully large, loving family."

"How large?" he asked, brow raised. "Are we talking Weasley large?"

She chuckled. "Goodness, no. Three, maybe four. Definitely four. I want four."

His chest rumbled with deep laughter. "And are we trying for genders?" he asked, kissing her neck. "Or do you already know?"

She sighed. "I only knew of Aurora. I don't remember her mentioning siblings."

He peeked at her, seeing her eyes had closed in ecstasy, and he smiled against her ear as he brushed her hair with his nose. "Then we should try to make your wish for four a reality."