Chapter 66

—————H—————

January 3, 1998

Hermione watched as the older students tried to duel each other, some succeeding more than others. And those who wouldn't fight were huddled together learning some quick Healing, Poppy in the room to teach them before she had to leave for the infirmary again, lest the Carrows grow suspicious.

Then again, that would require a brain.

Hermione had a parchment on a book in her lap, a self-inking quill in her hand, as she tried to calculate the date of the final battle. Any attempts before had only led to inconclusive results. Which made sense because she didn't have all the facts. But now they did, in a way. They knew where the diadem was, it was merely a matter of figuring out where Riddle had hidden it. They had a hunch that the cup was in Gringotts because Severus quite clearly remembered the Dark Lord giving Bellatrix something at the same time he'd given Lucius the diary. Since the Lestranges' property was all turned over to the Ministry after their arrests and the cup hadn't appeared, she'd certainly hidden it. They just needed a way to destroy it and....

Inconclusive, but it appeared that it would be near summertime this year. Soon, then. They wouldn't have to wait years for all this to end. By this time next year, their family would be on the other side of the war, come what may. But Hermione had no desire to calculate everyone's chances at survival.

As a few of the dueling pairs took a break, Hermione watched Neville weave his way over to her. She banished the parchment and quill to her desk in her chambers, and then watched expectantly as he took a seat in the chair next to hers.

"You've improved quite a bit, even since last year," she complimented with a smile.

Neville looked proud. "It's been necessary."

"Either way, you're doing a fine job," she assured.

His smile waned as he nodded, looking down at the floor. "Mione, if... if when I see her again... if I apologize...."

"Neville," Hermione said slowly, but relented when he held up his hand.

"I know it's going to take a lot to get her to forgive me. But will I stand a chance?"

"Neville," Hermione said once more, more firmly this time. "You're a nice, sweet boy. And I'm sure Aurora's feelings for you, whatever they may have been, probably haven't changed that much since she left. But I also can't speak for her. I don't know what chance you'll have with her, but I did teach her to forgive, so I'm sure she'll at least do that much."

"Do you think she'll come back?" he asked quietly.

"Before the end of the war? No, not unless it's to fight. They're doing well out there. She's helping them balance and helped us get information we really needed. She wouldn't have found a place here so easily."

"She could have helped teach others to heal!" he said instantly.

Hermione laughed and shook her head. "And this is why you need to change your thinking before you approach her. There are a lot of ways she could have helped here, that's true. But it was Aurora's choice, and she needed you to support her. Neville... you can't... you can't just decide things for a girl. It's very sweet that you wanted to make sure she was okay after everything that happened last year, but to have written your grandmother and assumed because she said Aurora could be with you that Aurora would? Having a contingency plan is smart, but to just assume she would agree with those plans? That's not how it works."

"I get that now, I do," Neville said. "But I just wanted to keep her close, keep her safe. I know she doesn't need someone to keep her safe, but...."