Chapter 55

—————A—————

February 16, 1997

"Where you two been?" Ron asked as Aurora and Ginny joined him and Harry in the Great Hall.

"Sleepover," Ginny replied as they sat down, grabbing some breakfast. "Girl time with Luna."

"Ah," Harry said with a small smile. "Someone may or may not have been wondering where you ran off to. Or when you were coming back."

Aurora met Harry's gaze but said nothing, she knew what he was implying. Instead, she grabbed some pancakes and sausage and when she swore she felt her mother's eyes staring holes through her skull, fruit.

She was looking forward to the Quidditch practice scheduled for that morning. She had a desperate need to hit things, to take out her frustrations with herself more than anything. Her time with the girls was helpful, and it was oddly cathartic to have girl time, but absolutely nothing felt better than whacking a Bludger.

She ate, listening to the idle chatter between Harry and the Weasley siblings, and saw that her mother was at the head table and had probably been staring at her. She rose with her team, heading out to the pitch.

Aurora and the girls parted ways from the boys, got ready, and then they were on the field.

With the cold winter air blowing on her face, Aurora escaped the problems that plagued her. They may not have been many, and they were entirely of her own making, but up there, listening to Harry as he ran drills, she didn't have to dwell on them. There was only the biting wind against her face, her hair whipping out behind her, the pleasant coil of muscle as she hit the Bludger.

And all too soon, it was over.

"Great job!" Harry said once they were on the ground. "We're heading up against Slytherin next month, and they have a match against Ravenclaw coming up, so we'll get to see where we need to adjust. Anyway, let's get on with our day," he said, and Aurora was about to head to the locker room with the rest of the team when she noticed Neville slowly coming toward them.

A part of her wanted to run and lock herself in the changing room. She wanted to hop her broom and fly up and above the castle. But she also knew she was being ridiculous and needed to face him eventually.

Ginny paused after she realized Aurora wasn't following, and with a glance at Neville, raised both brows and tilted her head ever so slightly. Aurora shook her head, and Ginny nodded before heading into the changing room.

Aurora leaned against her broomstick, waiting for her boyfriend.

"Hi," he said timidly.

"Hello," she said with a twitch of her lips.

Neville shifted, looking at the ground.

"I'm sorry," Aurora said, and Neville's head whipped up, eyes wide.

"S-s-sorry?" he said. "So.... So, you regret...."

"No, no, not... not exactly." She frowned, trying to put her words together. "Though I understand if you do. It's just... well, the way things had been going between us since January, it felt like the next step. It felt like a natural step, and I found that I was ready for it. I wanted it."

"Me too," Neville said a bit too eagerly, and Aurora sucked in her lips and bit down to prevent the knee-jerk laugh that desperately wanted to escape. Neville blushed, laughing quietly at himself. "Bit too quick, that was."

"I don't know," Aurora teased. "Heard some blokes are much quicker than that." She sobered, their conversation meant to be serious. "Neville, it's not that I don't care deeply for you."