Chapter 12

—————S—————

December 19, 1975

Severus wanted to be anywhere else. The Slug Club Christmas Dinner was boring, but more importantly, exclusive. Slughorn had pulled Severus toward him and tugged him along to show him off as a very promising potions student.

"Can't tell you why, though. Hush, hush," he'd say in that sickening jolly way that just elevated him to new levels of sheer pompousness.

Lily was in her element, socializing with witches of high standing and speaking with them as much as she could before her eyes glazed over in that way that always indicated the subject matter no longer interested her. Gifted as Lily was, natural with magic though she may be, she was not an academic.

Not wanting to hinder his friend, Severus stayed to the sidelines where he could observe.

"Severus," Lucius greeted him, and he turned from watching Slughorn dribble food down his front. Lucius' smile was genuine and his handshake friendly.

"Lucius," Severus greeted with a tilt of his head. "Narcissa couldn't accompany you this evening?"

A quiet sadness bled into Lucius' eyes. "No. Narcissa, I'm afraid, is under the weather."

"I'm sorry to hear that," Severus said honestly, suspecting the truth. A part of him wanted to tell Lucius of his fertility potion modifications, but he tamped it down before he could make an arse of himself.

"And you? Your Hermione is not with you this evening?" Lucius asked, eyes darting around the room and momentarily lingering on someone. By the slight curl of Lucius' lip, Severus suspected it was Lily.

"Hermione wasn't considered special enough by our Head of House. She was unable to accept an invitation to accompany me due to a previous engagement."

Occlumency lessons, as it were. Moody wanted to help her build better walls to get her to Severus' level. And since she didn't earn an invitation from Slughorn himself, they'd all thought this would be the best night to go ahead with the lesson.

"I suppose it can't be helped. You must be counting down the minutes until you can get back to her."

"As you are with Narcissa?" Severus quipped, and Lucius chuckled. "Unfortunately, Hermione is not a Slytherin. I won't see her until tomorrow."

"Not a Slytherin?" Lucius seemed genuinely perplexed by this.

"Unfortunately, she is a Gryffindor."

"Is she?" Lucius frowned. "Is that why she was taken in by McGonagall?"

"No. I believe that the familial assignment came before the sorting," he lied smoothly. He knew it was very, very likely the other way around.

"I see," Lucius sneered. "She was quite a pleasure to meet in Diagon Alley, I was hoping to do so again."

"Perhaps you will," Severus replied. "There will be more of these insipid dinners, I'm sure. She won't be busy through them all."

"Too true," Lucius agreed. He then groaned, his shoulders dropping slightly. "I'm sorry, Severus. I must cut one of the most pleasant aspects of this evening short. I am being waved over by the bumbling fool."

"Good evening, Lucius," Severus said with a slight bow.

Lucius returned it. "And you, Severus."

He watched Lucius approach Slughorn, snickering as the aristocrat cringed when Slughorn put an arm around him.

Severus scanned the room again, catching sight of Lily with another group of female students. She flipped her hair and laughed with her whole body, looking as if she were genuinely enjoying herself. He was glad to see how thrilled she was to be a part of this. He moved along the wall, creeping closer to the door, hoping to get away undetected.