Chapter 69

—————S—————

March 10, 1998 (continued)

Severus and Minerva watched as the white light in his office grew before four slightly disheveled teenagers appeared in front of them.

"Well," Minerva said. "I must say you four have looked better."

"Thank you, Aunt Min." Aurora beamed as they all dropped their stuff.

"Severus, what—" Dumbledore started to say angrily.

Severus rolled his eyes, turning to the portrait. "Why should they be on the run when all that's left is what they could never get to?"

"You knew Harry couldn't know."

"Know what?" Potter deadpanned. "That one of my best friend's father, the husband of a woman who was once my best friend, was actually on my side? Or that there's a Horcrux in me and the only way anyone can figure out how to destroy it is by killing me?" Harry asked as if he were merely relaying the weather. Draco's face contorted into a sneer as Harry spoke, but he said nothing, merely clenching his fists.

When the silence was thick in the room, Aurora asked, "Where's Mum?"

"She's ... with your Aunt Poppy, preparing."

"How soon are things happening?" Ron asked.

"Not quite yet. When it does, it will happen quickly," he said, darting a glance at Minerva, who nodded. "I want you to go to the Room of Requirement, you can use the Floo. Ask the leaders of the houses to round up anyone underage. Most will already be inside, but it's imperative that any students under fifteen be escorted out. I will only allow those fifteen or older to help the medics. Ask the room for the exit to safety and it'll grant it."

"Dad, Leo?" Aurora asked.

"Make sure he gets out."

"Sir," Potter said. "What are we doing after we get them out?"

"We're going to use you as bait, Mr. Potter," Minerva said.

"The Order?" Ron asked.

"Will be coming through the room as well."

"Dad, why not keep everyone there, in the room?"

"Because if something happens to the structure of the castle, the room could stop working. The path in the room will take them to a safe place where they'll be able to hide for the duration of the battle. Outside of the castle."

Aurora nodded.

There were so many things Severus wanted to say, just in case this was the last time he had the chance to say them to her. But he refrained, this wasn't the moment for sentiment, not for him.

"Go," Minerva said. "Lingering will do none of us any good."

He watched as they each went to the Floo, calling for the room. When the last of them left, he turned to Minerva.

"You know the spell?"

She grinned. "I've been hoping for an excuse to use it for years."

"Good," Severus assented. "I'll summon the Order. Make sure the underage students leave. After that, follow the plan."

She nodded, heading for the fireplace.

"Minerva," he said before fully realizing he was going to. When she stopped, looking over her shoulder with a questioning frown, he added, "Thank you." It was for so many things over the last two decades.