Chapter 15

—————H—————

February 14, 1976

"Hermione," Marlene said with a blush as they crossed paths in the common room. "Er, I was on my way up to see you."

"Your way up?" Hermione asked, brow furrowed as she glanced at the clock on the mantle. "At seven-thirty in the morning?"

Marlene blushed more deeply.

"Well, I may just be getting back myself. Anyway, doesn't matter. Snape was by, asked me to give you this," she said, handing a piece of parchment to her with the very tips of her fingers. Marlene held it as far away from herself as she could, and Hermione caught how she rubbed her hand against her thigh.

"Thanks," she said, barely able to hide her annoyance at Marlene's ridiculousness. She unfolded it, smiling as she read his harsh scrawl.

H.,

I won't be in the Great Hall this morning. It's the weekend, I don't have to nor want to deal with the sickening display of red and pink parchment. I'm taking my breakfast in the lab.

Yours,

S.

She rolled her eyes, smiling fondly at the note before tucking it in the front pocket of her messenger bag and leaving the common room. She heard the Fat Lady giggle but chose not to say anything and headed straight for the lab. She had a book for him tucked in her bag. Nothing terribly special, just a collection of short stories she thought he might enjoy. They'd sworn to one another that they wouldn't go overboard, that it was a day like any other, and there was no need to shower one another with ludicrous gifts. It was a Hogsmeade weekend, and they'd planned to get butterbeer and sandwiches, go to Tomes and Scrolls, and perhaps stop by Honeydukes. Their simple plans and lack of lavishness made their first Valentine's as a couple palatable.

She stopped outside the lab door and groaned, rolling her eyes as Lily's voice came through the crack in the doorway.

"She broke your heart, Sev!" Lily argued impatiently. "She dragged you around for three days, left you in utter misery, and then decided that she wanted to keep you after all. I thought you were better than this. Stronger."

"You don't know what you're talking about," Severus spat, and it was another moment when, without the visual reminder of his age, she could easily picture Professor Snape. She honestly didn't mind the reminder, having started to see the older version as equally attractive.

"I know that no matter how good a show you put on, you were miserable," Lily countered, and Hermione came close enough to the door to be able to see their friend fold her arms and shift her stance as if there was no way she could be wrong.

"I was absolutely miserable, but that was because I caused the attack that sent her to the infirmary. It nearly killed her. I can't imagine anyone could feel a modicum of joy after nearly killing the one they ... care for."

"Right," Lily scoffed, not seeing or hearing Hermione enter the room.

Severus' eye shot to her immediately and they softened a fraction. Lily turned, her face draining of color before she straightened and shifted her clothes.

"Morning," Hermione greeted as though she'd heard nothing. "Marlene said you were looking for me."

"I wasn't—" Lily started.

"I'm glad she gave you my message," Severus cut her off, moving toward Hermione. "I thought she would drop the parchment on your head and risk it getting lost in the sheets, judging by the way she tried so vehemently to not touch me."