Chapter 70

—————H—————

Aurora took just over fifteen hours of labor. Leonidas took four. The youngest Snape took just over an hour.

The moment Hermione landed back in time, she knew something was wrong. Still, she didn't have time to dwell on that: Severus needed her.

She reappeared in an empty Great Hall. She Disillusioned herself and started moving. It wasn't until she was hiding on the lower level of the boathouse that her water broke, and she understood what was wrong.

Two months too young, he still squealed as he came into the world, albeit not as loudly or as strongly as his siblings.

Severus wrapped their little boy in his robes, cleaned and torn to a more appropriate size, leaving Severus in just his ruined frock coat. He gently cleaned off his son with tearful eyes while running a diagnostic spell on him.

"His lungs are weak, to be expected," he rasped, reaching into his robes and uncorking a vial with his teeth. He offered the babe a couple drops of the strengthening potion and smiled slightly as his cries were much healthier after a brief pause.

"Let me see him," Hermione said, extending her hands toward her husband. He didn't let the baby go right away but moved to sit beside Hermione. Only then did he pass the baby to his mother, and Hermione did as she did with their children before him, nursed him to calm him.

"He's perfect. Bit small, but...." She shrugged, brushing her thumb along his cheek. "Severus, I want to name him Alastor."

When her husband reared back, she geared herself up to defend her decision. The astonishment on his face made her pause.

"You wanted to name him that, too?" she asked after a moment, and Severus nodded. "Huh, we finally get to name a child together and we actually agree."

They looked down at their boy, already drifting off into his first sleep.

"Take him," Severus rasped. Hermione looked over at him and saw the longing and resignation in his eyes. "Take Alastor and go. It's not over."

"And leave you? Aurora?"

"Go to Leonidas. Take him to his brother," Severus said, stroking the fine black hair on his son's head. He looked at Hermione again. "I love you."

"I love you, too. So, don't go ruining all my hard work."

"I'm dead, where else should I be but the Great Hall?" he asked, quirking his eyebrow. When she was ready to lecture him, he added, "I'll help Poppy."

She nodded, her lips turning down. She grabbed his head and pulled him to her, kissing him with as much love as she could.

"Don't die while I'm gone, do you hear me?"

"Yes, dear," he rasped. "Come on, I'll help you and Alastor into the boat."

Severus and she got to their feet, though they were both shaky. He Vanished the mess of near death and new life, and they descended the stairs so he could help her into the boat.

Hermione watched him over her shoulder, feeling the cool tingle of Disillusionment. Alastor fussed a bit but settled quickly, and she cast a Notice-Me-Not on the boat. It felt like no time at all and forever when they arrived at Hogsmeade, the village quiet and vacant as she got out, clutching her little one tight. She moved through the streets to the Hog's Head, only to find no door. Perplexed, she moved to check if there were still windows, and there were, they were frosted.

She knocked and waited, hoping they could see her through the panes.

The door and Tonks appeared, looking at her with a baffled expression. "Remus said you were due after me."