Chapter 36

—————A—————

November 3, 1995

It was nearly impossible to top last year's celebration, but Aurora couldn't help but enjoy being near the Quidditch pitch again.

She was flanked by Ginny and Luna, the former in Slytherin colors, as had become her tradition when it was a Gryffindor/Slytherin match. Neville was at her back, cheering on Harry and encouraging Ron despite his less-than-stellar performance as Keeper.

Harry and Draco seemed to be having the time of their lives out there, flying circles around one another, chasing each other as much as they did the Snitch. Aurora caught snippets of taunts and laughter as they flew overhead earlier in the game, wide smiles on both their faces.

But admittedly, her eyes didn't stay on the Seekers for long. She was, perhaps, a bit more drawn to the Gryffindor Beaters. One Beater in particular.

There were no clandestine meetings at midnight or longing looks from across the common room while they forced themselves to be apart. Aurora hadn't sacrificed time with her friends and Fred hadn't abandoned George and Lee for her. They met whenever it was possible. She and Fred would sit beside one another in the Great Hall, their friends surrounding them. In the common room, they would sit together, though there was always a respectable amount of space. As far as anyone was concerned, she and Fred were just very good friends.

But when no one was paying attention, they held hands, kissed each other on the cheek, studied together or worked on product development in a corner of the library, and took long walks around the lake even if it was a bit nippy out.

And she had, perhaps, been a bit louder when the Beaters knocked away the Bludgers.

When the game ended, Gryffindor beating Slytherin by ten points, she and her friends went down to the changing rooms.

"Excellent game," Ginny said as they entered the changing area. "Well, except you, Ron. You kinda let more than a few of those Quaffles pass."

"Oi, shove it," Ron snapped back, though Aurora noticed that he was more than a bit blotchy after that statement.

"Is there much point in washing up?" Harry asked, dabbing a towel to his forehead. "Or did your dad give us field time again this year?"

"'Fraid not," she said, plopping down on the bench conveniently beside Fred.

"Oi!" Draco's voice cut through the room before he rounded the corner and came in. "Do I need to shower?"

"Of course you do, Malfoy." Harry grinned. "Can't keep up your pristine image if you don't."

"Yes, well, I'm also not going to bother if we're going to go right back to flying," he countered.

"Not this year." Aurora shook her head. "He doesn't want to draw attention." She looked at her feet before meeting Draco's gaze meaningfully.

"Right," he said. "A more private setting, then? The Room of Requirement?"

"I think that works. Unless your parents had something planned?" Harry said, looking at Aurora again.

She sighed heavily. So much for a good day.

"They do. We can meet up after the dinner we're attending in my father's quarters," she said, looking to Draco once more. "And I do mean 'we.'"

"Bloody hell," Draco grumbled. "Well, nothing for it, then. I suppose I should tidy up and prepare for a slow, mild torture."

"Which would be?" Ginny asked.