Chapter 34

—————S—————

June 30, 1978 (continued)

"Yes."

Such a simple word, yet the moment it left Hermione's mouth, it felt as though a dark cloud suddenly dispersed from over his head, taking with it a pressure that left him aching. Severus was off his knee and pulling her into his arms, his mouth on hers so quickly her elated giggles were born on his lips. And he smiled, still kissing her despite the minimal real estate such an expression gave to do so. Her arms were around his neck, and with her secured so snuggly to him, he actually felt buoyant enough to lift her off the ground and twirl her around.

She laughed more, music to his soul, and he set her down and pulled back so he could look at his fiancée, his future wife, his Hermione.

"I thought you were about to break it off," she said, only a bit miffed. She gave him a very light smack on his shoulders, but other than that, she didn't pull her hands away from him.

"I was prepared for it," he replied. "I want to marry you, but I had no idea if you still felt the same. If you wanted to take the next step."

"I have," she said, running her fingers along his hair despite its texture. The touch was reverent, and he nearly felt handsome, despite his physical flaws.

But her touch reminded him of something important. "Then I need to seal the promise," he reminded her, taking her left hand in his right and slipping the ring onto her delicate finger.

The silver ring with its cluster of diamonds around an emerald was a family heirloom that was meant to go to his mother but skipped her when she married Tobias. It was large on Hermione's finger, but it also looked right . He couldn't have imagined tromping off to a jeweler to procure whatever ring was in fashion, not to mention how much he loved the idea of a Prince family ring on her finger when the name he would give her was Snape.

"Severus, it's gorgeous," she breathed, staring at her hand in awe.

"It's not new," he stated.

"I don't care. The fact that ... you had to have gotten it from someone, and I would wager that someone was either your mother or grandmother. The fact that they let you give this to me..."

"Hermione, my mother adores you in her own way, and my grandmother is quite eager to meet you. The ring was practically shoved into my face when I went to the Prince Manor over the holidays to thank my grandmother. I regret that I wasn't able to come to you."

"Severus, you don't need to apologize for our lack of contact, honestly. You were going to see me at the Malfoy party; I don't begrudge you the chance to see your family."

"And that's one of the many reasons I love you," he declared, cupping her cheek and pulling her in for a deep kiss. The hum of approval on his lips only made him pull her closer, practically wrapping her in his robes.

His future wife. He had a future wife! An intelligent, fierce, strong, brave, beautiful future wife to share the rest of his days with. It had never felt so good to know Albus Dumbledore was fallible.

The old coot had been dropping hints and remarks throughout the whole year that made Severus doubt. He didn't believe a word about Sirius Black and knew from being inside his mind that Hermione could practically sit in his lap, and his reaction would be nothing more than a front. But there was Lupin, who he knew from Hermione's confession, had no qualms about making his feelings and intentions known. Hearing Albus say the two had grown close, even after the incident, had given Severus pause. Especially when he and Igor had been permitted to send letters so rarely. And, of course, he caught wind from the headmaster that the romance between Potter and Lily had ended. He had been disappointed but had said that it was inevitable with that damned twinkle in his eyes. Hardly anyone ever stayed with their Hogwarts sweetheart, and had he met any nice young girls in Voldemort's camp?