Chapter 63

—————H—————

November 10, 1997

Hermione's mind was scattered as she headed for the Room of Requirement. She couldn't stop thinking about Severus granting Fred Weasley permission to ask for Aurora's hand, something Hermione had been absolutely certain would never happen. Or the fact that Aurora, Draco, Harry, and Ron were now somewhere in Albania, trying to make it to the small wizarding village the Bloody Baron had mentioned. And, of course, the mystery of how to destroy the Horcruxes, seeing as how Albus sodding Dumbledore did everything he could to hide what they needed.

If she'd been in her original timeline, she was fairly sure she'd have wanted to kill Dumbledore herself at this point. Assuming they even had all the information needed.

The door was right in front of her, and even though it was barely sunup, she still checked over her shoulder to make sure there wasn't anyone following. The only thing she spotted was a grey tabby cat with rim-like markings around her eyes that gave Hermione a little nod from the top of the stairs. Nodding back, Hermione opened the door, closed it promptly, and then took in the magnificent room provided.

It was larger than any room she'd ever seen inside. There were bunk beds along the back wall, six beds high, and more than she could easily count at a glance. She could see the full spectrum of house colors represented among the bedding, on the walls around the room, in the colors on the large canvas declaring the infractions and punishments at Hogwarts. Under that, a table covered in medical supplies, and beneath that, a large box that probably held the rumored goods sent by the twins.

She went to inspect it, finding herself oddly surprised to see that it was precisely as she expected. And, what's more, upon sorting through it, she found everything was for defense and healing.

"Hermione?" Neville's voice came from behind her, and she turned to see the young man sitting up in a chair, rubbing his eyes, staring at her in disbelief.

She smiled warmly, not having realized he was there. The front of the room was littered with various chairs and tables, and of course, he was in the one that wasn't visible from the door. She rose, a task getting more difficult as of late, and headed to an empty chair next to Neville.

"Hello," she huffed as she flopped down. "This isn't a terrible setup you all have."

"No," he said, still sounding unsure. He looked around the room, down at himself, to the fire for a long beat, then back at her. "What are you doing here? Sirius all right?"

"Yes, he's fine," she said. "But... Sirius needs to take over for me, so I'm doing the same for him."

"It's the baby, isn't it?" Luna said as she came over, yawning daintily just before she skipped over to an empty chair.

"How—"

"Don't worry, I didn't tell Aurora. I knew you and the Headmaster were keeping it from her and Leo."

"Baby?" Neville frowned. "With him?"

"You forget, Neville, both my other children are Severus' as well." She shook her head. "Can't you let it go?"

"No," he said, shaking his head. "I can't. I just... can't."

"I'm not sure why you won't let go, Neville. Your aura would be much clearer and brighter if you did." Luna smiled.

"I'll take it under advisement," Neville sighed. "So... you're pregnant, and you're here because...?"

"Potions and babies don't precisely mix, Neville. And someone has to hold the room as it is while you lot are in class."