Chapter 21

—————H—————

November 13, 1976

The sun wasn't even completely up and Hermione was already in Severus' secret lab, waiting for him.

Since her realization of what was going to happen to him and what that meant, she'd been thinking. She was almost certain of what was coming for Severus. The one question that plagued her was whether or not he would want her around when the time came.

She'd been so careful since Eileen had explained pure-blood etiquette. She'd even made an effort to observe the Slytherin girls, aware that they were the best chances of seeing proper pure-blood behavior.

But what if it wasn't enough? What if, when it all came down to it, Severus decided he needed a real pureblood to help him become a Death Eater? Maybe that was why he looked at her with such contempt and disdain when he was older; he was trying to change time by making himself so unpleasant that she wouldn't seek him out.

Sighing heavily, Hermione rested her head against the wall.

They hadn't had much time to talk since the realization of his future had crashed down on her two weeks ago. He was trying an experimental brew that he wouldn't tell her anything about, and then there were classes, studying, and socializing. She hoped she hadn't come across as distant or withdrawn, but she couldn't be sure.

And the more she worried about him slipping away from her, the more she thought about her own future loneliness.

She startled terribly when the door opened, and she whipped her head around with her wand in hand, only to find Severus staring back at her in surprise.

Pulling himself together much more quickly than she, he shut the door and crossed the room swiftly. He had his fingers in her hair, holding her head still as he crashed his lips on hers before she could even contemplate a greeting.

His kiss was desperate, yearning, though not at all in the way she would have thought it would be after nearly three weeks without physical intimacy. It was like he was ... scared.

When he pulled back, he rested his forehead against hers as he got to his knees, and it struck her how much taller he had gotten since before the summer began.

"I'm glad you're here," he whispered, sounding a bit sad.

She touched his cheeks. "Yeah?" He nodded against her head. "Why is that?"

He hesitated, then took a deep breath. "I think we need to talk."

His ominous words didn't match the kiss, and while she wanted it to be a good thing, she couldn't shake that foreboding feeling.

"Okay," she said softly, steeling herself.

He took a deep breath and took both her hands in his.

"I'm not sure where to begin," he said, eyes on their hands. "I ... the headmaster ..." He shook his head. "We were invited to Lucius' soiree again last night, only it's because someone in particular wants to meet me." He stroked her fingers with his thumbs. "Things are starting to be expected of me, things I hadn't planned on or wanted. But I fear rejecting even one offer would have me in ruin."

"Why do you say that?" Hermione asked.

"Because they would jeopardize my studies, my future in Britain. I ..." he sighed. "I love you, Hermione."

The sudden declaration startled Hermione. She blinked, shocked, mouth agape, trying to process that he'd actually said it.

Barely louder than a whisper, in case her brain had shorted out and made her hear something that hadn't been said at all, she replied, "I love you, too, Severus."