Chapter 3

—————H—————

October 31, 1974

"I would be more excited if there was something more substantial than apples for dinner," Hermione told Lily, who was bouncing with glee as they sat out under a tree by the Black Lake with Severus. They had decided to head out there after Charms, seeking some quiet before the Halloween feast inevitably brought all of the students from hyper to intolerable.

"And I guess Ilvermorny had a Halloween feast without candy?" Lily asked. "And it's enchanted candy, anyway. It's not like you'd feel ill after eating it."

"Digestion-wise, no," Severus said from where he sat on the ground beside Hermione. He picked up a stone, flicking it so it skipped across the lake surface at least a dozen times before it sunk. "But what about the headache, the fatigue that will set in tomorrow? You may only have to worry about listening to the proper way to muck a Thestral stall, but some of us have real subjects to study," he teased, the corner of his lips twitching as Lily became indignant.

Hermione giggled quietly, still not sure what to think of this Severus Snape, even over a month since he decided she was worth getting to know. He still didn't talk much when Lily wasn't with them, but that suited Hermione just fine. She didn't know him like she had known Harry or Ron a month into their tentative friendship, but she had found something in Severus that she never had with them: a study companion. Lily had found a balance between them and the girls, and when she wasn't with them, Severus and Hermione retreated to the library. They would spend their time together pouring over books or finishing essays, and while it didn't sound like much, it was perfect for Hermione. He never spoke a word of Quidditch, he never complained that she spent hours in the library, and he never spent the whole time sighing heavily in boredom.

"So don't overindulge!" Lily shrieked, crossing her arms and standing with her hip jutted out.

"But what if you don't have a taste for sweets?" Hermione asked. "That's the problem I have with it. I was never given sweets growing up. Maybe a piece of cake on special occasions."

"Why weren't you given sweets?" Lily asked. "Just too expensive or ...?"

"They're terrible for your teeth," she replied

Severus narrowed his eyes at her, but Lily spoke before he could say anything.

"I suppose there's that. But this is the wizarding world. Surely they have a potion to fix your teeth?" Lily asked, looking pointedly at Hermione's mouth.

Severus drew his legs up slowly, resting his arms on his knees and hid the lower half of his mouth behind them.

"You don't need it, Evans," James' voice cut in.

She groaned, and Severus immediately sat up straighter. It was reflex, really. Hermione had noticed that unless they could be incredibly discreet and had the benefit of the doubt if caught, the Marauders never did anything to Severus in front of Lily. Or her, now that she thought about it. She knew they still got in some shots now and then: there had been times when Severus limped into class when Hermione or Lily hadn't been with him, and there was one night he'd spent in the hospital wing, though he wouldn't say why. Sirius and James had been a bit too peppy that evening for it to be coincidence.

"I was having a lovely afternoon, weren't you?" Hermione asked Severus pointedly.

"How could you be enjoying the afternoon if you're with Snivellus, Kitten?" Sirius asked, coming around from the other side of the tree.

"It's quite simple, really. His company is infinitely more enjoyable than yours."

Severus snorted quietly, rolling his eyes before watching James and Lily.