Chapter 56

—————S—————

June 15, 1997

He knew he wasn't going to be facing anything pleasant when he walked up to Malfoy Manor. Severus was not summoned often during the school year, unless it was a really important meeting or the Dark Lord wanted an update. And what's more, he could see he was meant to come alone, since Theo didn't meet him at the gates.

The manor had fallen into disrepair, looking more and more worn and uncared for each time he visited since Narcissa abandoned it. There were no peacocks on the lawn, and it made Severus wonder if they'd been killed or if they'd taken off. If there were still house-elves about, they did not answer to the new master of the house. None opened the doors or greeted guests. Severus let himself in and headed to the dining room, the likeliest place they would be holding a meeting.

He found the Dark Lord and the inner circle members, a group which had grown substantially since the first war, in the dining room. The snake was coiled around her master, scenting the air with her tongue as Severus took his seat at the Dark Lord's right hand. Bellatrix sneered from across the table, her dark crazed eyes filled with malice.

"My Lord." Severus inclined his head to the Dark Lord, who smiled back in an oddly fond way.

"Severuss," he hissed. "Welcome." The Dark Lord looked at the table, his brow wrinkling. "It's been brought to my attention by your brothers and sisters that we may be putting too much faith in young Mr. Nott. He has been able to do what is asked of him, thus far, but we cannot trust that Dumbledore will not corrupt him and convince him to leave our side."

"I see no reason why you should doubt Mr. Nott's loyalty to you, my Lord. He may have been reluctant in the beginning, but he has thrown himself into his new station with great vigor."

"He has," the Dark Lord conceded. "But nonetheless, we need to be sure. It was proposed that we have a few witnesses. Not only to ensure Mr. Nott's loyalty, but to have backup for you. What say you?"

Severus frowned, letting them see that he was considering the idea.

"I believe that can be easily arranged," Severus said, already mentally adjusting the plans they had. "As you know, the Headmaster disappears from the castle more than a headmaster should, for long periods of time and for reasons I am not privy to. I believe, if I have a way to alert the would-be witnesses that the Headmaster has left the castle unguarded, we could easily sneak a few inside without tipping our hand and having the Aurors called on us. There are members of the Order roaming the halls, but we can easily distract them."

"That is wonderful to hear." Voldemort smiled, pointy teeth bared.

"And how do we know you won't send for the Aurors or the Order once we arrive?" Bellatrix demanded before turning to the Dark Lord. "He cannot be trusted, my Lord. He can't be trusted with this or anything else."

"I believe there are ways inside the castle, dear Bella, that would ensure you or anyone else does not walk directly through the front gate. The Shrieking Shack, for instance, has a tunnel that is connected to the Whomping Willow. You can make a direct line across the ground to the castle once you Stun the tree," Severus said in a bored tone.

Bellatrix pouted while Voldemort clapped with delight.

"So it will be!" The Dark Lord exclaimed. "I will send the Carrows to you, and Yaxley."

"My Lord?" Bellatrix protested, but Voldemort held up his hand to silence her.

"Your distrust in Severus has been noted, as has your desire to see his offspring killed. The children shall remain unharmed, Bella." The Dark Lord returned his attention to Severus. "When Dumbledore next leaves the castle, touch your Mark. I will send the others to you."