Chapter 24

—————S—————

January 9, 1977

Severus was in her mind, trying to look for something interesting, all while being very cautious to not go too far. Hermione's mind was a minefield, and he desperately didn't want to trigger a mine. Yet there was no one else to help her test her strengthened Occlumency shields, aside from the headmaster, and neither of them were going to ask Albus Dumbledore to poke around in her head.

It was quite a pleasant experience though, danger aside. Hermione's mind was warm and full of love, and if he revisited memories of their New Year's Eve together in the very room they were currently in, well, she would have to break eye contact to stop him.

"Are you trying to find a way to improve?" she asked aloud, the question echoing in her mind.

"My Legilimency?" he asked.

"No, your performance. You seem to be going over and over the same thing. I realize that it may not have been our best time, but there's no reason—"

"Witch," he cut her off, noting the giddy joy in her mind before he gently withdrew to see her smile, "perhaps I just wanted to see what it felt like for you?"

"Perhaps, but I doubt that was your intention," she countered.

"Alright, maybe I just like reliving it in general."

"Give me a few days and we won't need to relive a memory," Hermione teased, and Severus' smirk grew. He leaned in, kissing her firmly, intending on at least getting in a damn good snogging session on his birthday, when there was a tap on the window.

Growling, Severus got to his feet to relieve the owl of its burden. He opened the panes, allowing the freezing air to wash over him and cool his ardor before taking the parchment from the bird. It hooted before flying away, vanishing from sight as the snow fell heavily outside.

"From your mother?" Hermione asked just as Severus turned it over and noticed the seal on the envelope.

His insides flooded with ice, and his heart fell into the pit of his stomach.

The Dark Mark in deep green, almost black wax, taunted him.

"No, it's not," he said, taking a deep breath and cracking the seal.

Severus,

It's been brought to my attention that today is of great significance to you. I do hope this means we will be seeing you soon, as I look forward to making you a part of our family. In the meantime, I have written to invite you to a gathering on the evening of January 29. If you cannot Apparate, please send word to Lucius, and we will send a Portkey so that you may be present.

I look forward to seeing you there.

There was no signature, but there was no doubt whom the letter was from.

He looked up and saw the worry etched on Hermione's face.

"It's from him ," he said. "An invitation."

"So soon?" she asked, chewing her lip.

"Not for the pair of us. I think ... do you know what the Death Eaters do?" Severus asked cautiously. Hermione paled; she nodded once. "I have a feeling it's something like that. A test, perhaps."

"You should tell Alastor."

"I think I need to tell the headmaster. Given the reason, I'm sure he'll conveniently look the other way while I sneak out of the castle." Severus grimaced, realizing there was one person who would be patrolling the gate, eager to catch anyone sneaking back in. "Scamander will be an issue, though."