Chapter 20

—————S—————

November 12, 1976

Severus,

Lad, when we began our correspondence, never once did I think it would be laden with such heavy topics. Maybe we'd discuss your lady, your academics, maybe even the most mundane from time to time, but not about Death Eaters and the Dark Lord and selling your soul for a chance at an education.

Your grandmother informed me that my tuition is still available, still untouched despite my disownment. She says that no grandson of hers will fall to his knees and beg to be given what is his right as a Prince heir.

As for the Dark Lord's followers: do what you feel is right. With so few true Potions masters out there, we cannot be particular. If you must, think of your father when speaking of Muggles, I'm sure that will supply adequate inspiration to muster through conversations with them.

If you can, see your grandmother during the holidays. She deserves to lay eyes on you in more than a picture.

E. Prince

The pleasure of reading his mother's name, her proper name, on the parchment was nearly as strong as reading that he did not need Lucius Malfoy or anyone else to cover the cost of his tuition.

And the letter, though late, arrived just in time for him to face Slughorn's dinner. Should Lucius be there, he didn't have to worry about further temptation.

Though he did have to worry about Slughorn displaying him like a trophy.

Severus had submitted his notes on crushing sopophorous beans as opposed to slicing them on a whim, though he'd been tempted to do so with a couple drops of Liquid Luck. In the end, he decided it was a waste of a perfectly good potion, and he thought that he wouldn't be lucky enough to get published again.

He was wrong.

Mr. Hicklepunk at Potions Quarterly thought Severus was quite inventive, and while he was certain that the young student's methods would not be received well, it was precisely the kind of thinking that they wanted in their commentaries and suggestions. He was going to publish it in the winter quarter, and he said he'd written to Slughorn to praise his skills as a professor. Severus nearly laughed upon reading that but didn't dissuade Mr. Hicklepunk from doing so.

He hadn't told Hermione yet, deciding to wait until it was published to show her, and Slughorn had smugly kept it to himself. But he called on Severus more frequently in Potions class and compared everyone else against him. It was getting more than a bit annoying.

He tucked the letter in his bag, preparing to head over to meet Hermione at Gryffindor table to spend time with her before Slughorn's social event.

"Mr. Snape," Professor McGonagall said as she came up to him, appearing stern and sounding a bit miffed. "If you could come with me for a moment?"

The others at the table looked at him with pity and confusion, though he merely nodded at McGonagall before standing to follow her out of the hall. He caught Hermione's eye on the way and shrugged when she looked just as confused as he.

Once they were out of the hall and halfway up the stairs, McGonagall relaxed a fraction.

"I'm sorry to pull you away from Hermione, I'm sure you were planning on spending some time with her before going to Horace's office for the evening, but I'm afraid you were requested."

"By whom?"

"Professor Dumbledore."

"What does the headmaster want with me?" he asked, his shields locking into place as his apprehension increased.