Chapter 68

—————S—————

February 28, 1998

Severus waited, watching from the Astronomy Tower as Lord Voldemort made his way to Albus Dumbledore's tomb. He hadn't come to the castle, which was probably for the best. Severus had sent Hermione to the Room of Requirement when he felt the wards trip, signaling that the Dark Lord had entered the grounds. She would keep the students inside from leaving. If the Carrows knew of their master's arrival, he was unaware.

The figure stopped, and Severus cringed as the large heavy stone of marble was levitated off the surface. It was utterly taboo to mess with a wizard's grave, but then it wasn't as if the Dark Lord cared much for what was considered sacred in the wizarding world. As much as Severus wanted to, he couldn't look away after there was a bright flash and the distant sound of stone breaking. What was the Dark Lord doing? He didn't dare think about it too much, not wanting to imagine the vile things the once-man could do with the corpse of his greatest enemy.

He waited, watching, trying not to wonder, when suddenly there was a bright light and a powerful blast of lightning landed directly where the Dark Lord was standing. It would be too much to ask the fates to strike him down, so he'd probably conjured the storm. But why?

The Dark Lord left, taking off into the night. There and gone without anyone the wiser.

Something didn't feel right.

He'd already had a quick meeting with the Dark Lord the night before. He'd been summoned, which was already odd. He'd given the report of the school and the Dark Lord was pleased with what he heard. And in return, he merely asked Severus to remain at the school for the weekend, as he had something he had to do and needed his headmaster on the grounds. Bellatrix had looked put out, so it was safe to assume whatever it was Voldemort required, she didn't know about it. He had expected to be summoned when his "master" reached the gates, but it hadn't happened.

At least he hadn't entered the school.

Severus checked his pocket watch and realized that it was not yet midnight, though still very late. The Carrows had most likely indulged in their weekend spirits, which meant they were in a drunken stupor. This was the best time to enact his plan.

Walking briskly, he returned to the headmaster's office, making his way to the desk. He paused only briefly with his hand over the map, wondering if maybe tonight wasn't the best night. But he couldn't hold it off any longer. Aurora had sent him a message just earlier that day, asking if they'd found anything that could destroy the Horcrux in their hands. She'd said they'd done every spell they could think of to destroy it, but it remained intact.

There was a knock on his door, and his shoulders sagged. Opportunity lost, it would seem.

"Enter," he called, not sure who to expect at this hour.

Sirius walked in, closing the door behind him. He looked dejected, no devilish grin, and no cavalier attitude.

"What is it?" Severus asked, not unkindly.

Sirius cleared his throat. "Ted Tonks was caught and killed today," he said quietly. "Early morning. Andy got the letter from the Ministry...." He stopped, clearing his throat again. "He was on the run, Muggle-born and all. It's said he wasn't the only one, but we aren't sure who he was with. Not yet."

Severus took a deep breath. "That is unfortunate news. How is Nymphadora?"

"About as grief-stricken as her mother. Remus is worried about the baby, of course. You can't blame him. I know Tonks is a tough witch, but she's nearly due."