Chapter 40

—————H—————

August 31, 1979

It was the oddest day Hermione had ever had.

She was in a white dress, cut like wizarding robes, her hair tamed and pinned and perfect. She'd eaten enough that she felt as though she'd gone up a size, but there was no way she could offend Molly Weasley, who for some strange reason insisted on catering the reception despite being pregnant with five boys at home.

But it wasn't only the pregnant Weasley matriarch Hermione had to worry about. The house-elves at Malfoy Manor would be entirely too offended if the bride and groom didn't partake in the feast prepared for them.

She was, however, grateful for the fact that Severus had perfected the art of quiet Side-Along Apparition. It just looked like that the newlyweds were constantly sneaking off to enjoy marital relations whenever possible. The reality was that they were going between two weddings.

Their binding was made public record from the moment they sealed it with a kiss. Neither thought much of it, she and Severus lazing in bed the following morning, discussing when the best time to publicly wed was, when Minerva Flooed them.

Albus had found out. And he was less than impressed that his spy would do something so spontaneous. It did, however, lead Hermione to wonder how he found out.

"The bastard," Severus had snarled. At the questioning look from his wife and Minerva's twin expression from the fireplace, he explained. "When we told him about our engagement, his reaction hinted that he would try to tamper with the public record. I've no idea how. Maybe he intended to have you bound on paper to someone else, making it impossible for us to marry."

"Whatever his reason," Minerva said, "he's now trying to figure out how to prevent word from getting out to the rest of the Order."

"Well, then, perhaps we should make sure the whole of wizarding Britain knows?" Hermione had countered.

But of course, there was meant to be a wedding. Everyone already knew of their engagement, and there would be so many people hurt or upset that they weren't part of their special day. And there was no way to have everyone who wanted to be there at the same ceremony. So, there were two: the Order and the Death Eaters.

Narcissa insisted they host the extravagant affair for them at the Manor, and as a thank you, Hermione saw Severus slip a vial to their hostess.

"This should help you," he said quietly to her, and at her questioning glance, Severus added, "Lucius had best not name them anything ridiculous."

The Dark Lord, it seemed, had heard, for as he approached them, he gave Severus a nod and an approving smile.

"Severus," he said, his eyes redder than Hermione remembered, making his smile more menacing. "You have found a good match for yourself. You will rise through the ranks, earning power and prominence for your name."

"I'm glad this pleases you, my Lord," he said with a bow, looking over the Dark Lord's shoulder at the woman lingering there. "Bella," Severus greeted.

"Sevvy," she sneered. "You're lucky she's nothing but an orphan. Otherwise, you would not be so lucky to marry so high above your station."

"Bella," the Dark Lord scolded. "We shouldn't say such things, especially today. Severus is one of us, our brother."

"Why? It's only a wedding," Bellatrix countered, causing the Dark Lord to chuckle fondly.

"Not all marry because they must. Some, inexplicably, want to," the Dark Lord said before turning back to them. "I know you are eager to return to your love nest. Do so, with my blessing."