Chapter 10

—————H—————

October 1, 1975

"Mr. Snape, Miss Evans, would you mind staying back?" Slughorn asked with a wide grin, hands behind his back as he gave a little bounce on his feet.

"You don't think?" she heard Sirius mumble to James as they gathered their stuff.

She glanced over, seeing James contemplating the question.

"No," he said, shaking his head. Without another word, James and Sirius gathered their things, gestured for Peter and Remus to follow, and headed out the door.

Hermione glanced at Severus and was taken aback by the resignation in his eyes.

"I'll meet up with you later," he said.

Hermione nodded, gathered her things, and left just as Lily bounced to join Slughorn and Severus at the front of the room.

Despite knowing full well that it was likely they wouldn't come out soon, she kept glancing over her shoulder for them. She noticed Remus waiting alone at the end of the hall, and she found herself drifting toward him while still checking.

"Slug Club," Remus said with a sad sort of smile. "It's reasonable to assume. James and Sirius got invited a couple days ago, but you three hurried off to Transfiguration before he had a chance to say anything. Then again, they were moving rather slow. Apparently those two and Peter cast a singing and dancing jinx on a young Hufflepuff and were caught by Professor McGonagall."

"What for?" Hermione demanded. "What did the Hufflepuff do?"

Remus shrugged, shamefaced. "Nothing," he admitted. "They were bored and their, uh, usual target couldn't be found."

Hermione figured they'd been in the Room of Requirement, and that's why they hadn't found them. Though now she wondered why they hadn't managed to sneak up on Severus while he brewed. Either way, since her birthday, he'd been spending more time in his abandoned classroom than anywhere else. As a result, Hermione found herself, often with Lily, tucked away with him. They Transfigured a table into a somewhat comfortable couch, and a chair into a low coffee table. It wasn't often that Severus wasn't at his makeshift station, going over notes and brewing, but when he wasn't, the three of them could easily sit side by side without too much discomfort.

Of course, Hermione much preferred the times without Lily, even if she did feel bad about that. She liked being able to lay her head against Severus' leg, the both of them on the sofa and discussing whatever tickled their fancy.

"You didn't get invited with them? Or Peter?" she asked.

Remus shook his head glumly. "Slughorn only invites those he thinks will go places in life. Don't, don't look like that," Remus begged when Hermione froze abruptly. She could feel how wide her eyes were, her lip trembling. "What he means, mostly, is fame or prestige. Affluence plays a big part, but so does skill."

"And Lily Evans is more skilled than me?" The incredulous statement tumbled out of her mouth before she could stop herself.

"Not necessarily," Remus said cautiously. "But, well, she's Muggle-born."

"So?" Hermione asked, trepidation pushing aside the anger that had started to brew.

"So, as ridiculous it may sound, she's a bit of a novelty to Slughorn. He has the potential to brag about her later on."

Hermione's shoulders sagged. Was she really so worthless in this era? Was she really seen as having no potential? It was a petty thought, but Hermione briefly considered that if she revealed she was a Muggle-born, she may be as lauded and praised as Lily.