Chapter 19

—————H—————

October 30, 1976

"Where are you taking us, Black?" Severus demanded as he, Hermione, and Lily followed the Marauders through Hogsmeade and into the residential area.

"Wait," Sirius said, turning and walking backward with a mischievous grin on his face. "You'll see, Snape."

"I'm not sure this is a good idea," Remus said, standing beside the trio. "The chances of us getting caught—"

"Relax, Moony," James said over his shoulder. "Slughorn and Baxter are chaperoning, and they never pay attention to who leaves and who comes back."

"Not to mention that no one saw us come this way," Peter chipped in.

"But where are we going?" Lily asked, looking at the cottages with a frown.

"Peter's aunt left not long ago for Italy," James said.

"And my parents are away in France," Sirius said with a twitch of his eyebrows.

"And what does all this have to do with where we're going?" Severus asked.

"Because, Flooing doesn't count as magic," Sirius said, as if that explained everything.

"Because Peter's aunt has a home here in Hogsmeade and Sirius' parents live in London," Remus elaborated, eyeing Sirius in warning.

"So, wait. You want us to Floo to London?" Lily asked, quickening her step to grab James' arm and pull him to a stop. "Why? What's the point?"

"Why not?" James asked, his smile brightening. "It'll be fun, right? Getting away from the school? Properly away?"

"And what if we get caught?"

"We won't, Evans," James reassured, moving so quickly to take her hand that Lily didn't have time to pull away. She looked surprised by the maneuver, but only tried to pull away slightly. "Come on." And with that, James gave her hand a firm tug and pulled her quickly to a house on the left, Peter rushing to keep up.

"If you want to turn back now, it's probably for the best," Remus said sheepishly.

"You're a prefect, Remus," Hermione said, watching as Sirius took off after the others. "You can follow them all you like, but I don't think this is a good idea."

"Much as the idea of getting away from the castle appeals to me, Hermione's right. While Slughorn and Baxter don't pay much attention to those who come and go, I'm afraid there are other professors that do. And while they may not be in the village today, they might just notice if a group of students commonly seen around the school is nowhere to be seen."

"Not to mention that London is not exactly small, and it's quite easy to think you're only going to be a short while and then find yourself three hours gone on the other side of the city," Hermione said. "And with the Trace still on all of you, if something happened..."

"Sirius is only a few days from his seventeenth," Remus hedged.

"And a few days still matter!" Hermione argued, letting go of Severus' hand and going up to grasp Remus by the shoulders. "Please go get them, bring them back."

"I doubt I can convince them to come back," Remus sighed, rubbing his forehead. He looked so unsure and torn; it broke Hermione's heart. "I can't ... I put too much distance between me and James and Peter, and I need them. I ... I'm going. I'm sorry. I have to." He then reached into his pocket, pulling out a thick bundle of parchment. "But you staying behind is good, in case something happens. If we aren't back by, say, six o'clock, let McGonagall know."