Chapter 41

—————S—————

March 21, 1980 (continued)

"I know." He smiled and seeing the shock and confusion on Hermione's face was worth it because for once, just once, he had something on her. She probably knew, of course, that this child was happening. She hadn't needed a potion or spell to come to her conclusion, so there had to have been a Snape she knew in her past. Their future.

"How?" she demanded, an edge to her voice that belied her suspicion.

"You're exceedingly exhausted lately. You complain of aches in the most peculiar places. Your diet has changed: you eat more and of certain things. I had a slight bit of doubt, as you haven't suffered from nausea. Oh, and the night of the meeting, when Lily was sent away? It didn't occur to me until well past that night that we didn't use any form of protection."

"Oh," Hermione said, her cheeks turning a lovely shade of red. She did glow more, too, but Severus guessed she wouldn't want to hear how radiant she looked, or how much the knowledge that she was carrying his child, even if it wasn't remotely visible yet, raised her attractiveness in his eye. "Well, I suppose there's that. We were in a bit of a hurry..."

"I've never been gladder that my partners can't have children," Black interjected, eyeing his cup with suspicion. "Something's in the water, the rate these pregnancies are popping up."

"There's a potion I know of that facilitates that. But it's Dark magic, and it's... not precisely for the man you love," Severus offered, watching as Black's face drained of blood quite quickly. "And in any case, the only reason it seems like there are so many with child is because of the threat. If there wasn't a prophecy to worry about, then you wouldn't even think about the number of pregnant witches."

Sirius nodded, humming in agreement, and decided to focus on his breakfast than continue that conversation.

"I think a child is wonderful news," Minerva said just as Dumbledore took his place beside her. The headmaster heard and turned to look at Hermione with a glint in his eye.

"Indeed," Severus agreed, a light smile pulling at his lips.

"Do you know what you're having yet?" Minerva asked absently, taking a sip of her morning tea.

"I honestly can't say," Hermione replied pointedly, and Severus watched Dumbledore's lip curl into a grin.

"And how far along are you, my dear?" he asked. "With Severus only at the castle on a regular basis in the last week, you must have been using a very strong spell to detect it."

"I suppose I'm about four or five weeks," she replied thoughtfully, and Dumbledore snickered. Snickered. And the way his eyes darted past Hermione?

Severus sighed and rolled his eyes internally, unable to understand how such a brilliant man could be so utterly stupid to think that Black was involved.

Pregnant.

A flood of nerves and joy washed over Severus, the thought of a child, his child, inciting both pride and fear at once. He had had the perfect example of what not to be from Tobias, and while he still had some regret over the bastard's death, he'd never stopped being a bastard. His mother, caring but aloof, proved even the most unnatural parent could be competent when given the chance. But there was still a worry that he would somehow poison his child's mind unintentionally, his double life leading them to believe the wrong thing. Or, perhaps, what if it eventually took its toll and he was not as patient with them as he should be?

Yet, as it had on occasion the last few weeks, he couldn't help but picture a head of dark hair standing in front of a cauldron, small hands wrapped around a stirring rod, learning the most basic potions well before their first year. Son or daughter, he would teach them anything he could, and teach them spells to defend themselves from bullies.