Chapter 38

—————S—————

September 22, 1978 (continued)

"I think it would benefit us if Dumbledore thinks the pair of you are in a romantic relationship," Severus presented to Hermione and Black, glancing at the bar to ensure Lupin was still busy with drinks.

"Excuse me?" Hermione asked, and Severus was quite glad they'd had sex before heading to the village. He was fairly certain she wasn't going to be too keen on this plan. But it needed to happen.

He was, after all, a spy. And while Severus may not be able to read Dumbledore's mind, the former Gryffindor lacked subtlety.

"I'd bet my inheritance that the headmaster's motive for hiring you, Black, was for you to keep Hermione's company. He has made a point to inform me countless times that he witnessed the pair of you being quite... chummy. He also wants us to call off the engagement," Severus said this just as Lupin returned.

"You're calling off the wedding?" Lupin asked as he sat down with the tray of drinks.

Black cringed and Hermione's eyes darkened.

"Heel, boy," Severus sneered. "I said the headmaster wants us to call off the wedding."

Lupin, at least, had the decency to blush.

"So, please explain how making Dumbledore believe there's something going on between us—"

"He'll think his plan to tear us apart is working, despite her being as far from your type as she could get," Severus replied.

"And when the wedding goes ahead?" Lupin asked, still that touch of hope in his voice.

Severus shrugged. "Probably believe that Hermione is unfaithful."

"Oh!" she said beside him, a look of realization plastered across her face.

"Oh?" he said, arching a brow.

"Nothing," Hermione smiled back. "Just... you made me think of something my old headmaster said once."

"Indeed?" he asked, his mind knocking on her door, requesting entry.

" I don't know if I can tell you ," she said in her mind, her voice disembodied in her consciousness. " It's a small detail that you can't know about ."

He could let it go. Besides, her words may not be reassuring, but the humor in her voice was good enough for him.

"So, Sirius and not me, because ...?" Lupin asked, and Severus barked a laugh.

"Yes, because I would let you, an untrustworthy swine who already stole a kiss from my fiancée, act as though you're in a romantic entanglement with her."

Black nodded, taking a sip of his drink. "That, and I'm quite the friend of Mrs. King," he boasted with that irritatingly charming smile.

Lupin frowned. "Sirius, that's... that's a very Muggle expression and I'm not sure you know what it means."

"No? All right, how's this: I'll be under Merlin's robes, not Nimue's skirts," he retorted, a cheeky grin on his face.

Lupin was physically taken aback. "You don't mean...?"

"Do I need to spell it out for you? I don't mind, really."

"You're—?"

"Yes."

"And they knew?"

"Oh yes."

"And James?"

"Hasn't a clue, frankly. But since he only has eyes for Evans, it doesn't make a difference." Black took a sip of his firewhisky, sighing in what might have been pleasure if he wasn't trying to hide a grimace. "Wormtail may or may not know, but honestly, I don't think it matters."