Chapter 16

—————H—————

June 11, 1994

The headmaster's office had never been the Order of the Phoenix's headquarters, or even one of its meeting places. But the remaining members of the original Order were still crammed in there.

Molly and Arthur sat on a sofa with Minerva beside them. Sirius was in a chair with Remus standing behind him, the former still not quite recovered from his ordeal. Alastor Moody stood with his back to the window, walking stick in hand.

Her husband stood at the mantel, turned away but listening attentively. Just beside him was Kingsley Shacklebolt, looking out of place. But there were so few of them left after the first war...

"Mrs. Snape," Albus said in his kindly, condescending way. "While I think it's fantastic that you've managed to get Sirius down to—what did you call it? 'Time served'? As brilliant as that is, Harry cannot be allowed to go to Grimmauld Place when the school year is done."

"Sirius is Harry's legal and rightful guardian according to the Ministry," Hermione argued, fighting the urge to pull the papers from her bag and shove them in his face. "And since he's a wizard, it's the best option to relocate Harry with him."

"For the best, but not the greater good."

"How so?" she challenged. "Sirius has done no wrong except try to avenge his friends. In fact, I think it's safe to say that I'm not the only one in this room who knew Sirius was not Secret Keeper before Lily and James were killed."

All eyes went to Severus and he sneered.

"I thought Black was a traitor as much as any of you. I think my wife is referring to our esteemed leader," he said casually, and Hermione was quite close to snickering.

All eyes swiveled to Dumbledore, who had the good sense to change his grin to appear contrite.

"I confess Lily and James did consider changing their Secret Keeper and taking Sirius' suggestion to appoint Peter. However, I did not feel the need to inform the Order of the change, as their location was to be unknown by all."

"And yet with a bit o' disclosure, Sirius coulda had a proper trial," Minerva pointed out. "He'd have gone to Azkaban, but not for so long."

"And maybe Harry could have gone with him when he was released," Molly added.

Dumbledore shook his head. "No. It is imperative that Harry return to his aunt's home."

"And why is that?" Sirius asked bitterly.

"Peter has escaped and is no doubt already trying to find a way to bring Voldemort back," Dumbledore explained, and Severus hissed at the name, clutching his left arm. "Pardon me, Severus. Tom."

Severus rolled his eyes, massaging his arm, as he drifted closer to his wife.

"I hate to point this out," Remus started, "but there have been others who've tried before him. In this very school. I must confess that Harry has told me much during our evening chats, and this was his only year at Hogwarts that he didn't encounter You-Know-Who in some way or another."

"Thank you," Severus murmured from over her shoulder, and Remus gave the slightest of nods.

Dumbledore sighed. "It is true, unfortunately. But that was not what we were discussing. It is imperative for Harry to return to the Dursleys because of the blood ward, the protection Lily Potter cast when she jumped between Harry and Tom."

"Blood ward?" Severus said condescendingly. "As in the bond of blood?"

"Indeed."

"Then you're a fool if you think that has protected Potter all these years. It's the fact that he's been in the Muggle World that has kept him safe, and now that he has been reintroduced to our world, it's null."